Q. Is there any medicine to regrow the beard hair that has stopped growing for the last few months?

Dr. Sandhya Narayanan Kutty

I shaved my beard one year ago, and now there is no hair regrowth observed. What to do?

Kindly help.

#

Thank you for your query.

As per the history provided, it may be alopecia areata. Alopecia areata is the loss of hair, including a beard or mustache, in a few or one particular area. They appear due to autoimmune conditions. Therefore, I suggest you to follow a few instructions mentioned below.

1. Apply Minoxidil 5 % gel (vasodialator) on the affected area daily at night after cleaning and drying the area well. Take a pea-sized amount, apply and massage for one minute on the affected area. Keep it overnight and wash it off in the morning. Minoxidil gel can be used for a long term, but initially, it must be used for at least one year to show satisfactory results. They should not be stopped abruptly as Minoxidil works by increasing the blood supply around the follicles to stimulate hair growth; sudden stopping would cut off the blood supply. Therefore, it is advised to be tapered down eventually over the years. Start with seven days per week at night for the first year, then reduce to six days per week at night for the second year, then five days per week during the third year, and so on. Once the usage reaches once per week, they can eventually be stopped after a year.
  2. Take tablet Follihair once daily after food at night for three months. It stimulates hair growth in face and scalp.
  3. There are other procedures, including ILS (intralesional steroid injection), which are superficial corticosteroid injections that are taken every six weeks in a very low dose on the affected area. They can be taken up to three sessions. It stimulates hair growth and can be done along with minoxidil gel.
  4. Check CBC (complete blood count), vitamin B12, vitamin D3, and iron levels. These blood tests check the blood parameters and rule out autoimmune conditions and vitamin deficiencies. If there are changes in any of these parameters, supplements can be started to correct them. These blood tests should be performed before starting the tablet Follihair (nutritional supplement), as these parameters may not show the actual reading.

Kindly consult a specialist, talk to them and take medications with their consent.

I hope this has helped you. Thank you.

|