Q. I experience constant erections during my sleep with dreams. Please help.

Dr. Ankush Jairath
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I am a 56-year-old male, and I have diabetes and high blood pressure. I take Insulin, Metformin, Atorvastatin, Amlodipine. For the last four years, when I go to bed as soon as I fall asleep, I experience constant erections with dreams like I touch my penis. It was only happening during the night sleep, but now it occurs even during a nap. And this has become a problem because, during the day, I have difficulty in erection. My desire to have intercourse has diminished. When I do have an erection, I cannot keep it for a long time. I tried Viagra and Cialis, but the side effects are harmful. I spoke with one of those psychiatrists, and he gave me Mirtazapine 15 mg at bedtime. Still, this medicine was not helpful; it makes me angry, anxious, and aggressive. The next day I feel exhausted, tired, and impatient. My girlfriend complains that I was having dreams when I have those erections, and recently I was talking in my sleep. Please, I need a male urologist to resolve the constant erections. I need those erections when I am awake.

Thanks.

#

I hope you are doing well.

Coming back to your query, I would like to know,

• What is the dosage have you taken for Viagra and Cialis?
  • Have you ever tried a combination of Viagra and Cialis also?
  • What side effects you experience with the above drugs (and whether those side effects are with one medication or with both?).
  • For how long you took the above medication before side effects appear (for individual drug)?
  • Do you have urinary complaints like frequency, urgency, low stream, nocturia, dribbling, or burning micturation?

Any blood reports of RFT (renal function test) and any ultrasound abdomen report, then kindly upload.

Thanks and regards.

| 

Thank you, doctor, for your reply.

I take Viagra and Cialis 10 mg 30 minutes before sex. My concern is not to stop erections but is to prevent it only during sleep. During my sleep time, I have erections all night long. It has become a problem with my wife. She is agitated because I start having an erection, and I touch myself during sleep. She wakes me up frequently so I can stop the touches and erection. Once I wake up, the erection goes down, and again I will go back to sleep and start all over, which goes on all night long. I am tired, stressed, and wake up exhausted, and my relationship is at a point of ruin. I tried Mirtazapine but did not help at all. I did an ultrasound, and everything is normal. I urinate a lot, but it is due to the medicines I take daily. I also chew tobacco.

I hope you can help me.

#

There is no direct drug for the condition you are having, but the most successful trial drug is tablet Baclofen starting dose 10 mg to be taken at bedtime. Start the medication and get back after two weeks. We can increase the dose up to 40 mg according to the response. Side effects are drowsiness, dizziness, weakness, tired feeling, headache, sleep problems (insomnia), nausea, constipation, etc. Feel free to ask anything else you want.

Thanks and regards.

|