Q. Please provide a diet plan for NAFLD

Dr. Swapan Banerjee
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Before three months, I was diagnosed to have NAFLD (Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease). I have lost my weight from 62 to 53 within about three months by way of morning walk for about 1 hour and yoga and pranayama for another 80 minutes and by taking low fat diet and less calories. As a result my health and face is totally broken. I am a little bit worried by thinking whether it is normal or not. Even I cannot go out anywhere due to the questions from people about my broken health and lost weight. Please advise me and prescribe some medicines and supplements for restoration of my broken face. Please provide a complete diet plan which is helpful for curing NAFLD.

#

I understand your concern.

• I advise to go with very low fat, high carbohydrate enriched with high quality protein.
  • Add more animal protein like chicken stew, egg boils two pieces, 100 g rohu or catla fish every day at lunch as well as dinner.
  • Add good quality of dairy like curd, puddings, chana sweets and yogurts. Also, add more pulses in your diet.
  • Add plenty of greens and green vegetables like all gourds mainly papaya, bitter gourds, snake gourd, bottle gourd, etc.
  • Have high quality breakfast like breads, curd, two bananas and skim milk.
  • Sleep more for at least 8 hours or more and take 3 to 4 liters of water.
  • Take more vitamin C such as citrus fruits like lemon, amla (Indian gooseberry), musambi and orange as available seasonally.
  • Take protein powder with lukewarm water or milk.
  • Avoid all fast food, junks, outside street foods, biryani or same types of high calorie foods. Also, avoid fried foods even at home.
  • Maintain hygiene in day-to-day life with fresh foods.
  • Avoid oils, hot spices, etc., and take olive oil, green chilies, low salt, garlic and onion

For further information consult a nutritionist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nutritionist

Kindly clear a few of my doubts. You have asked me to take banana and chana sweet. But, I think that might increase my weight. Because, banana is energy fruit and sweets have high calorie. Which dry fruit can I take? Can I add sugar with chickpea?

#

• Two bananas or same fruits, low sugar chana sweets and similar high quality foods are needed as you said your health was broken.
  • Do not consume fast, junk, fried or high calorie foods.
  • Fruits and vegetables are almost fine for this BMI status. Get sufficient sleep and quality protein as then can be always healthy.
  • A healthy person does not mean a good BMI or low body fat, but disease free and active.
  • You can have peanut or simple nut 50 g per day and not more than that. Avoid rest dry fruits.
  • If you are not diabetic or sugar related disorders, then you can consume maximum 20 g per day including raw or cooking. It could be even harmful for overweight or obese patients. Still, you can manage sugar free or less refined sugar always.

My broken health and face has not yet improved. Which are high carbohydrate foods and how to take? Is my BMI normal considering my present weight of 53 kg?

#

• Your BMI is 20.80 and still it is within range.
  • You can achieve more carbs through rice, pudding, kheer, banana, potatoes, flattened rice, porridge, ghee, butter, fried rice and potato.

For further doubts consult a nutritionist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nutritionist

Is it fine to take protein powder with NAFLD?

#

• It is not better for fatty liver, but you can have a low dose with same quantity of water that is 1:1 ratio.
  • In your case, it is better to restrict or reduce excess fat and oils.

|