Q. USG shows fatty liver. Kindly interpret my LFT report.

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

I have been suffering from a fatty liver as per my USG. I am non-addicted. Today, I have my LFT, hepatitis B, and C tests are done. I am very much worried after seeing my LFT report. Is it serious? Am I suffering from jaundice?

I am currently on Livoriv B.

#

I have seen the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

This is grade I fatty liver disease, and in the scenario of a non-alcoholic behavior (as you described), this seems to be non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Yes, you have high liver enzymes on LFT (liver function test). If you have no yellowness or paleness of skin and eyes, no stools and urine changes, there is no jaundice. I have also seen that the labs you presented here have a high reference value to bilirubin.

Bilirubin is the end product of used red blood cells that get destroyed in the body. If they are over-destroyed than normally suspected, you may get higher bilirubin levels. Red blood cells may get destroyed more in the spleen due to any heart abnormalities or toxins in the blood.

Higher liver enzyme levels may be due to liver injury or due to any cause. You do not have viral hepatitis (hepatitis B and C is negative). But there are other viral diseases of the liver like hepatitis A and E. You need to consult your physician to rule them out and see other liver damage causes like medication-induced or toxin to the liver in food or environmental factors.

I suggest you consult a gastroenterologist and discuss the things with him/her in such a situation. He may not go for any further medications at this level, but he will review your current medications. You need to keep a regular follow up of every three months with repeated new lab tests to see if the levels are getting raised or lower.

There are diseases like autoimmune hepatitis and celiac disease of the small intestine. In autoimmune hepatitis, there is damage to the liver tissues and inflammation due to the body's immune system killing the liver cells leading to raised liver enzymes.

|