Q. Is there any latest treatment available for non-specific interstitial pneumonia?

Dr. Amolkumar W. Diwan
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 07, 2020

For the past five years, I have been suffering from non-specific interstitial pneumonia. Initially, I used Deltacortril and Imuran for a year and then till now I am only using Imuran two tablets in the morning and one in the evening. While going to sleep, I use 1 L/min oxygen. I do like to know if I am going in the right path. Is there any latest treatment available now?

#

• If you stop the treatment early, there is more chance of relapse and the disease will not be controlled with the same medicines.
  • Coming to your treatment, you are taking the right medicines now in the right dose. So, there is no need to worry about the medicines.
  • Oxygen supplement is required according to your exercise tolerance.
  • Till date, no new drug or definitive medicine is available for NSIP.
  • The mainstay of treatment is steroids and immunosuppressive drugs like Imuran (Azathioprine). So, I suggest you to continue the same treatment in guidance with your chest physician.

For further information consult a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

|