Normal Heart Rate

What does my ECG reports show?

Query: Hi doctor, I have attached my two ECG reports here. Are they normal? They were taken consecutively, 1 minute apart, the one with 106 heart rate was taken first and the second one with 93 heart rate was taken later). I see some broad peak in the second one. I am not sure if it is an error or somethi...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You may rest assured as I have carefully reviewed your health query, including both the attachments with different heart rates (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The peak you are most concerned about is a simply nothing. It is an artifact and is a recording...  Read Full »

What causes rapid heart rate before bowel movement?

Query: Hi doctor,My heart rate goes up to 150 prior to bowel movements. This happens especially when I have an upset stomach. Please explain.  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Heart rate generally has no relation to bowel movements, but it may increase due to anxiety. Upset stomach can cause stress in body, leading to a rapid heartbeat. The maximum limit to which heart rate can increase is 220 for your age. If resting heart rate is below 100 p...  Read Full »

What should be the target heart rate during physical activity?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 49 year old female. My resting heart rate is 69 bpm. What should be my target heart rate during physical activity?  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert, Orthopaedician And Traumatologist, Physiotherapist, Spine Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The resting heart rate can vary among the population, and it is usually 72 +/- 6. With exercise, it may go to 180 or more depending on the nature of the training, exercise tolerance, fitness, the age of the patient, etc. The fitter you are, lower your resting hear...  Read Full »

Why is the resting heart rate low in spite of pacemaker?

Query: Hello doctor, My 78 year old father has had a pacemaker for five years. The pacemaker is working. But his heart is becoming weaker and more dependent on the pacemaker. He now has a low resting heart rate. What causes this? What is the treatment?  Read Full »

Dr. Sanjib K Sahu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Usually, if the pacemaker is working, then the heartbeat will be the set rate of the pacemaker machine. If the heart rate is below the set rate then the pacemaker is not working properly. Kindly get his pacemaker checked with the pacemaker company. Please...  Read Full »

Is it true that athletes have a low heart rate?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 18 years old. I go to the gym six times a week. I am taking protein supplements and milk. I am not taking caffeine, alcohol or any other medicine. My resting heart rate is 84. When my pulse is under 100 I do not feel anything, but during some tension it goes above 100. While sleeping...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We are here to help you. The normal heart rate varies from 60 to 100 beats per minute (BPM). During activity, heart rate of every person increases and it may cross 100 BPM. So, what I can see in your query is something that I also have. In fact, this is the patte...  Read Full »

Why should blood pressure be taken while rested?

Query: Hello doctor, Why is it that you are supposed to take blood pressure when seated and rested for two to five minutes with your back supported? Is not it important to know what your blood pressure is when you are walking around and going about your day especially if that is what makes blood pressure ...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is because it is a normal response to the blood pressure rise with exercise and such increments are not harmful to the body. Exercise-related blood pressure will vary with the level of exercise so we will not be able to standardize it. On the contrary, baselin...  Read Full »

Why are my heartbeats always very strong?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old male, who weighs 78 kg and is 180 cm tall. I do not consume alcohol, but smoke two cigarettes per day. Since the past few years, I feel my heartbeats are very strong. I can feel my heartbeat all the time. I have consulted three cardiologists already for this problem. ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are feeling your heartbeats because of your enlarged and thickened heart. Thickening of the heart is typically seen in athletes. The heart size increases to cope with the increased stress, it is called as physiological cardiac hypertrophy. As a result, the heart ...  Read Full »