Q. Please interpret my NT scan and advise me the risk of syndrome with my pregnancy.

Please explain my NT scan report and double marker test. My present age is 44 years.

My NT scan was done on 12w 5d.

Crl - 64.1 mm

Nasal bone present

Nt - 1.8 mm

Ductus venosus - normal flow

Placenta - anterior

Double marker result:

Hcg corr mom - 1.64

Nb present

Nt corr mom - 1.12

Papp a corr mom - 0.42

Down syndrome - 1:81

Edward syndrome - 1:3234

Patau syndrome - 1:3135

Please explain whether I can continue with my pregnancy? How far is the risk?

#

NT scan is just a screening test to pick-up cases of Trisomy. Nuchal translucency of <3.2 mm, nasal bone seen and normal blood flow in ductus means the chance of trisomy is very low. To confirm this doctor has done a double marker test. They too are within normal limits. These values are extrapolated over a graph of general values, as MOM- multiples of median. Both the markers are normal.

In your case, only risk factors which have given a risk of 1: 81, is your age (any ratio < 1:250 has to be further investigated), which unfortunately cannot be altered. When the values are graphed over your age, they fall at high risk. But do not worry. So the ideal next step is to undergo an amniocentesis at 14-16 weeks of pregnancy and genetic analysis can give you a diagnostic result.

I feel it will be normal. Just relax and wait for that normal result. You can definitely continue the pregnancy.

|