Q. I have occasional numbness of foot and neuralgia above collar bone. Does it signify MS?

Dr. Aida Quka

I have been experiencing numbness in my left foot. It comes and goes sometimes throughout the day and sometimes it is completely normal. This has been happening for the past year. At night, when I lay down the back of both my calves feel like they are rhythmically pulsing only when lying down. I am freaking out that it might be the start of MS. I am a 36-year-old female. I have also had a mild case of mono (age 20) and have read that can increase my chances as well as being of Scottish descent. I very occasionally have neuralgia in a spot right above my collar bone and it is always in the same spot and very random. The shock lasts for about a few seconds then disappears. This has been happening for probably for the past seven years. I have also read this can be an MS symptom. I am trying to decipher if my symptoms are anxiety-related or if I truly need to be concerned with MS?

Dr. Aida Quka

Neurology
#

Your symptoms are not typical of MS (multiple sclerosis). The numbness in your leg may be related to a pinched nerve. The pulsating feeling in your legs may be psychological or related to venous insufficiency.

Regarding the pain in your face, it is not typical of trigeminal neuralgia which lasts for minutes and irradiates in the nerve branch territory. I recommend consulting with a neurologist for a careful physical examination. If suspicions are raised, a brain MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) may be needed.

I also advise performing a nerve conduction study and a Doppler ultrasound of your legs to exclude the above-mentioned disorders.

| 

What are the symptoms of multiple sclerosis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28 year old female, I would like to know if multiple sclerosis is hereditary? My dad has it, and I am very nervous to inherit this disease. I have had two brain MRI's that have been normal, except for an incidental finding of a pineal gland cyst. I continue to worry about inhe...  Read Full »

What could be the possible reason for pain on my face?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having pain in my right side of the face between the temple and cheekbone. I am getting a stabbing pain when I press there. I am also suffering from sinus and taking Sinarest and antibiotic. What can I do?  Read Full »

What Is Gabapentin and How Does It Work?

Article Overview: Gabapentin is a chemical gabapentinoid, or a ligand of the auxiliary α2δ subunit site of certain voltage-dependent calcium channels (VDCCs), and acts as an inhibitor of α2δ subunit-containing VDCCs. Read Article

Dr. Divya Banu M

What Is Gabapentin and How Does It Work? Gabapentin is a chemical gabapentinoid, or a ligand of the auxiliary α2δ subunit site of certain voltage-dependent calcium channels (VDCCs), and acts as an inhibitor of α2δ subunit-containing VDCCs. Despite the fact that gabapentin is...  Read Article