Q. My wife is a diabetic patient. She feels heaviness and numbness in both her feet. Kindly advice.

Dr. Kusumakar Srivastava
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 10, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

• My wife is 62 years old. She is a diabetic patient.
  • She feels heaviness and numbness in both her feet.
  • She is not able to sleep in the night.
  • She is taking tablet Glycomet GM2 - one tablet in the morning, tablet Sitagliptin 50/500 one tablet at night,  tablet Pregabalin 75 and active nerve tablets daily.
  • Her fasting sugar level is 120 and post prandial sugar level is 200 and HbA1C is 7.7 to 7.9.
  • She underwent hysterectomy in 1984 and spleenectomy in1990.
  • Nerve conduction tests show that the nerves are slightly affected.

Kindly advice.

#

Please do not get worried as your wife's treatment is on the right path but, some changes are required in the prescription.

• Tablet Voglibose 0.2mg thrice daily.
  • Tablet Glycomet forte one tablet twice daily.
  • Tablet Pregabalin 150 mg at night.
  • Capsule Mecobalamin one tablet twice daily.
  • Tablet Januvia100mg one tablet twice daily.

Give her all the above mentioned tablets for 15 days. Also monitor the blood glucose levels thrice a day. Revert back with the following:

• Attach the latest HbA1C report.
  • Attach the nerve conduction studies report.
  • Attach the serum calcium, vitamin D and alkaline phosphatase report.

For further follow up, consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

Read this article to know about foot care in diabetics --> https://www.icliniq.com/health-articles/health-topics/diabetes-health/foot-care-in-diabetics

|