Q. My wife is a diabetic patient. She feels heaviness and numbness in both her feet. Kindly advice.

Dr. Kusumakar Srivastava
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 10, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

• My wife is 62 years old. She is a diabetic patient.
  • She feels heaviness and numbness in both her feet.
  • She is not able to sleep in the night.
  • She is taking tablet Glycomet GM2 - one tablet in the morning, tablet Sitagliptin 50/500 one tablet at night,  tablet Pregabalin 75 and active nerve tablets daily.
  • Her fasting sugar level is 120 and post prandial sugar level is 200 and HbA1C is 7.7 to 7.9.
  • She underwent hysterectomy in 1984 and spleenectomy in1990.
  • Nerve conduction tests show that the nerves are slightly affected.

Kindly advice.

Dr. Kusumakar Srivastava

Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Rheumatology
#

Please do not get worried as your wife's treatment is on the right path but, some changes are required in the prescription.

• Tablet Voglibose 0.2mg thrice daily.
  • Tablet Glycomet forte one tablet twice daily.
  • Tablet Pregabalin 150 mg at night.
  • Capsule Mecobalamin one tablet twice daily.
  • Tablet Januvia100mg one tablet twice daily.

Give her all the above mentioned tablets for 15 days. Also monitor the blood glucose levels thrice a day. Revert back with the following:

• Attach the latest HbA1C report.
  • Attach the nerve conduction studies report.
  • Attach the serum calcium, vitamin D and alkaline phosphatase report.

For further follow up, consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

Read this article to know about foot care in diabetics --> https://www.icliniq.com/health-articles/health-topics/diabetes-health/foot-care-in-diabetics

| 

Why am I getting pain at the back of my calcaneus bone?

Query: Hi doctor, I feel some pain at the back of my calcaneus bone. The pain is especially after the first step in the morning when I wake up from bed. But, there is no redness or swelling. What is the reason for my pain?  Read Full »

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article

Kindly see the x-ray of my foot, and tell me if I have Lisfranc injury?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been using moon boot from approximately seven weeks, for a fourth base disruption. I have just had x-rays. I would like an opinion on two things, please. Should I be worried about the spacing between the first and second metatarsal (Lisfranc injury)? There does not seem to be a...  Read Full »

Ask a Diabetologist Now