Q. My wife is a diabetic patient. She feels heaviness and numbness in both her feet. Kindly advice.

Dr. Kusumakar Srivastava
Published on Mar 10, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

• My wife is 62 years old. She is a diabetic patient.
  • She feels heaviness and numbness in both her feet.
  • She is not able to sleep in the night.
  • She is taking tablet Glycomet GM2 - one tablet in the morning, tablet Sitagliptin 50/500 one tablet at night,  tablet Pregabalin 75 and active nerve tablets daily.
  • Her fasting sugar level is 120 and post prandial sugar level is 200 and HbA1C is 7.7 to 7.9.
  • She underwent hysterectomy in 1984 and spleenectomy in1990.
  • Nerve conduction tests show that the nerves are slightly affected.

Kindly advice.

Dr. Kusumakar Srivastava

Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Rheumatology
#

Please do not get worried as your wife's treatment is on the right path but, some changes are required in the prescription.

• Tablet Voglibose 0.2mg thrice daily.
  • Tablet Glycomet forte one tablet twice daily.
  • Tablet Pregabalin 150 mg at night.
  • Capsule Mecobalamin one tablet twice daily.
  • Tablet Januvia100mg one tablet twice daily.

Give her all the above mentioned tablets for 15 days. Also monitor the blood glucose levels thrice a day. Revert back with the following:

• Attach the latest HbA1C report.
  • Attach the nerve conduction studies report.
  • Attach the serum calcium, vitamin D and alkaline phosphatase report.

For further follow up, consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

Read this article to know about foot care in diabetics --> https://www.icliniq.com/health-articles/health-topics/diabetes-health/foot-care-in-diabetics

Why am I getting pain at the back of my calcaneus bone?

Query: Hi doctor, I feel some pain at the back of my calcaneus bone. The pain is especially after the first step in the morning when I wake up from bed. But, there is no redness or swelling. What is the reason for my pain?  Read Full >>

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your history of pain on the first step in the morning is consistent with a condition called as plantar fasciitis whereas pain in the back or posterior aspect of the heel is seen in retrocalcaneal bursitis. Can you please specify the exact position of pain with the imag...  Read Full

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article

Kindly see the x-ray of my foot, and tell me if I have Lisfranc injury?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been using moon boot from approximately seven weeks, for a fourth base disruption. I have just had x-rays. I would like an opinion on two things, please. Should I be worried about the spacing between the first and second metatarsal (Lisfranc injury)? There does not seem to be a...  Read Full >>

Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I will like to reassure you that the Lisfranc joint, that is the space between the medial cuneiform and the base of the second metatarsal appears normal, and space is within the normal limits. The...  Read Full

Ask a Diabetologist Now