Q. What could cause numbness in the legs and pain in the feet of a diabetic patient?

Dr. Arpit Varshney
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 06, 2022 and last reviewed on: Nov 03, 2022

My mother is 51 years old, and she has diabetes. She was diagnosed with diabetes ten years ago. Last year, she started to feel numbness in her legs. Her sugar level was 340 to 400 mg/dL. After changing the medicines, her sugar level is 160 to 180 mg/dL. The numb feeling in her legs is back, but she has pain at the bottom of her feet. Could you please tell me what is causing the pain?

#

I have read your concern in detail, and I will surely help you.

The numbness and pain are caused by diabetic neuropathy. It is a complication of diabetes commonly seen in patients with long-standing uncontrolled sugar levels. The sugar gets deposited on nerves, thus causing the symptoms. The best way to treat it is to control blood sugar levels.

I suggest,

1. Tablet ME 12 OD (Methylcobalamin + Vitamin B6 + Folic acid), one tablet in the morning.

2. Tablet Gabapin 100 (Gabapentin) at night.

Start her on these medications, and all her symptoms will vanish within a week.

Make sure to continue diabetes treatment and modify as per regular blood sugar levels.

Hope this helps.

Kindly revert in case of further queries.

|