Q. What is the reason for long term foot numbness?

Dr. Chirag Ashok Berry
Published on Feb 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 16, 2019

I am a 29 year old male. Four days ago, I started feeling numb on the side of my left foot. The feel continues and the entire portion of the left foot is numb now. Please guide me.

Dr. Chirag Ashok Berry

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

I understand that it can be very troublesome and scary to have complete numbness in a specific area of the body.

From what you have mentioned, it sounds like you do not remember any incident that brought this on. I assume this is something you noticed one day after waking up from sleep, is that right?

It may be helpful to know if the numbness is on the outer side or inner side of the foot. Is there any area on the side of the ankle or the leg, between knee and ankle that is similarly numb?

The sensations from the outer side of the foot are carried to the brain by nerves that go up to the S1 (sacral) level of the spine, while those from the inner side of foot go to the L5 and L4 levels lumbar.

These nerves can be affected by multiple issues ranging from trauma to any location along its track, pressure from certain structures such as disc etc., and general illnesses like diabetes. It is difficult to pinpoint which part of the track of the nerve is affected.

I would suggest you to consult a neurologist for a complete physical examination and get the appropriate tests that may be necessary. The treatment would depend upon the cause of the nerve damage.

I have spasms and pins and needles sensation in my hand. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am having spasms in my hand. I had it briefly in the left hand and then, my right arm was feeling numb. This morning my right hand has spasms on all fingers at different occasions with some pins and needle feeling. Please help.  Read Full »

How to get relieved from pain in the left side of the body?

Query: Hi doctor, I am currently suffering from constant numbness in the left side of my body starting from my neck down to my leg. I am experiencing extreme numbness in my arm when I lean to the left side. It is extremely painful. I have a history of a slipped disc in the lower spine. Please help me.  Read Full »

Why is my left foot numb?

Query: Hello Doctor, I am a 39 year old male. My height is 6 feet and I weigh 81 kg. Right side of my left foot is having numbness though it is not 100% numb. The left side of the foot has little pain. I get a feeling that there is some blockage in the blood flow though it might not be the case. I am a reg...  Read Full »

Ask a Physiotherapist Now