Q. Does masturbation cause arm numbness and pain?

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
Published on Apr 13, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 09, 2019

I have been masturbating for about 11 years and from a few weeks my right elbow started paining. Numbness had appeared recently. I am a software engineer and I am working with computer for the past 11 years. When I sleep on my back and have my forehands over my chest, they become numb sometimes. So during sleep, I have to switch pose. But in side pose also, if I have my hands bent the forehands become numb after a while. So, consciously I have to keep my hands straight. Apart from this, I also get some pain on my right elbow. Coming to my habits, as I am a software engineer I work about 14 hours on the system per day. I also used to masturbate daily by seeing porn in the mobile. For this, I would lie on my back and hold mobile in front of me with right hand. This over time started to cause pain on my right hand especially at the elbow due to mobile weight. Also, during long drive my right elbow pains and slight numbness felt now and then. It is not so much intense that I am unable to work, but it is disturbing and I do not know how to put them to rest. I read on the internet as it could be due to ulnar nerve and I seem to have subclinical hypothyroid. I am going to start taking thyroid tablet in the morning. Please help me for my pain.

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

I have read your question with care and understand that you have numbness of your hands when you sleep.

• First and foremost, masturbation is physiological and it is a normal phenomenon. It does not cause any problem or any side effects. It does not interfere with your general health and with your sex life.
  • It dose not cause hand numbness or elbow pain. So, there is no need to stop it and worry about this. Please do not believe non-medical articles or rumors.
  • Coming to your job with computers, this is repetitive strain and it can be a reason for the hand numbness.
  • You need to consult a neurosurgeon in person to undergo clinical examination, measurement of muscle, reflexes and sensory system examination to know if there is a nerve compression, which causes the numbness. Also to know whether the numbness is just postural due to reduced blood flow.
  • We cannot determine the cause of numbness without clinical examination.
  • About hypothyroidism, I suggest you to get your thyroid profile done before taking any drugs.

For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Can hypothyroidism cause joint pain, shivering and fever?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 30 years old. My weight is 60 kg and height is 5'10". Three months before, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Also, I am suffering from joint pain, shivering and fever. For this condition doctor advised me to take Thyrox 50 mcg, Thyrox 100 mcg for 10 days and Thyrox 125 mcg for ne...  Read Full »

Why is my left foot numb?

Query: Hello Doctor, I am a 39 year old male. My height is 6 feet and I weigh 81 kg. Right side of my left foot is having numbness though it is not 100% numb. The left side of the foot has little pain. I get a feeling that there is some blockage in the blood flow though it might not be the case. I am a reg...  Read Full »

Will Masturbation cause Premature Ejaculation

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 32 year old unmarried male. I am suffering from premature ejaculation. I am masturbation from 13 years od age using sex toys. I am not lasting more than two minutes. I am taking antidepressants and doing squeeze technique. But, it does not help me. Kindly suggest medicine for prema...  Read Full »