Q. Does masturbation cause arm numbness and pain?

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 13, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 09, 2019

I have been masturbating for about 11 years and from a few weeks my right elbow started paining. Numbness had appeared recently. I am a software engineer and I am working with computer for the past 11 years. When I sleep on my back and have my forehands over my chest, they become numb sometimes. So during sleep, I have to switch pose. But in side pose also, if I have my hands bent the forehands become numb after a while. So, consciously I have to keep my hands straight. Apart from this, I also get some pain on my right elbow. Coming to my habits, as I am a software engineer I work about 14 hours on the system per day. I also used to masturbate daily by seeing porn in the mobile. For this, I would lie on my back and hold mobile in front of me with right hand. This over time started to cause pain on my right hand especially at the elbow due to mobile weight. Also, during long drive my right elbow pains and slight numbness felt now and then. It is not so much intense that I am unable to work, but it is disturbing and I do not know how to put them to rest. I read on the internet as it could be due to ulnar nerve and I seem to have subclinical hypothyroid. I am going to start taking thyroid tablet in the morning. Please help me for my pain.

#

I have read your question with care and understand that you have numbness of your hands when you sleep.

• First and foremost, masturbation is physiological and it is a normal phenomenon. It does not cause any problem or any side effects. It does not interfere with your general health and with your sex life.
  • It dose not cause hand numbness or elbow pain. So, there is no need to stop it and worry about this. Please do not believe non-medical articles or rumors.
  • Coming to your job with computers, this is repetitive strain and it can be a reason for the hand numbness.
  • You need to consult a neurosurgeon in person to undergo clinical examination, measurement of muscle, reflexes and sensory system examination to know if there is a nerve compression, which causes the numbness. Also to know whether the numbness is just postural due to reduced blood flow.
  • We cannot determine the cause of numbness without clinical examination.
  • About hypothyroidism, I suggest you to get your thyroid profile done before taking any drugs.

For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|