Q. I have numbness, weakness, and tingling of limbs and face. What can it be?

Dr. Aida Abaz Quka
This is a premium question & answer published on May 08, 2018 and last reviewed on: Nov 24, 2022

I am 32 years old. I am very worried. I have symptoms like numbness, weakness, tingling in my limbs, head, tongue, and face. I have tooth print on my tongue sides. I have soreness behind the ears and on the eye. I can see black spots with one eye. I went to the eye doctor. He said everything is fine. I have all these symptoms for nearly two months.

#

I read carefully your question and would explain that your symptoms could be related to a metabolic disorder (thyroid gland dysfunction, vitamin deficiency). For this reason, I would recommend consulting with your attending physician and performing some tests to investigate for the possible causes:

• Complete blood count.
  • Thyroid hormone levels for thyroid dysfunction.
  • Vitamin D and vitamin B12 levels.

If all these tests result normal, I would recommend as follows performing a brain MRI study.

I hope you will find this answer helpful.

For more information consult a neurologist online.

Thank you for the reply,

I forgot to tell you. Sometimes, I have cold flashes on my legs and arms. I have pain like needles on my body. At night, my fingers get numb and come back to normal in a minute. Can it be cancer?

#

As a neurologist, I would like to reassure you that your symptoms are not related to any brain tumor. Brain tumor symptoms are usually localized in one limb or two limbs (hand and foot of the same side). While your symptoms are nonspecific and spread all over the body. Brain tumors can cause also persistent headache and nausea or vomiting, coupled with gait disturbances. Coming to this point, we can exclude any brain tumor based on your symptoms.

For this reason, I recommended performing the above-mentioned blood tests to exclude a possible metabolic disorder. Regarding the brain MRI, it is not an emergency, but I would recommend performing it just to be sure that everything is alright, especially if all the above tests result normal.

Hope you will find this answer helpful.

|