iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersGeneral PractitionernumbnessIrritation, numbness, right tongue. Help needed.

What causes irritation, numbness, and altered sensation on the tongue?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At April 13, 2023
Reviewed AtNovember 30, 2023

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I am experiencing some mild irritation, numbness, and sensation in the right side of my tongue, more towards the mid-section (near the pre-molars). There is no soreness, but seems like a very small line, when touched I can feel the sensation. There is no reaction to spicy food or salt when I gargle. It is been there for four to five days, it has reduced a bit but not gone. No medication was taken, only drank cold water and gargled with salt warm water once or twice a day. Kindly suggest a solution.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Based on your description, it is possible that you may be experiencing a mild case of nerve irritation or inflammation in your tongue, which is causing numbness and sensation feeling. This can sometimes be caused by trauma or injury to the tongue, such as accidentally biting down on it, or it may be related to a more systemic condition like vitamin deficiencies or nerve damage. I suggest you use topical local anesthetic gels to get rid of the irritation. I hope I have cleared your doubts. Thank you.

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

Thanks for the prompt reply. It is less felt now without any medication, but not 100 %. Will the Renerve help? That is the only tablet I have here. Also, for the future, what is the topical application you would suggest?


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Yes, Renerve (Methylcobalamin, Alpha-Lipoic acid, Inositol, Folic acid, Chromium, and Selenium) will help. Basically, any medicine containing Methylcobalamin and Folic acid will work. It is good that you do not have that many symptoms. I will suggest you the topical gel, Dentogel (Choline salicylate and Lidocaine). Apply it when needed. I hope I have cleared your doubts. Thank you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Kanani Darshan Jayantilal
Dr. Kanani Darshan Jayantilal

Family Physician

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:


Ask your health query to a doctor online

General Practitioner

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy