HomeAnswersDentistrynumbnessI am experiencing numbness and swelling after tooth extraction. Please help.

What is the duration of numbness after tooth extraction?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At November 4, 2023
Reviewed AtNovember 4, 2023

Patient's Query

I recently had a tooth extraction surgery two to three weeks ago. I have numbness in my lower jaw on the left side of my mouth. My doctor says it will heal, but I am not confident in him because it has been a long time, and nothing has changed. Also, my cheeks feel swollen, not that big, but I could certainly feel it. The tooth extracted was not the wisdom tooth but was impacted, so he had to cut from the side to pull it out. Hence, it made a hole in my mouth. It is recovering almost halfway through. The gum in my mouth feels as if it is pulled toward the hole. Is that what causes the numbness, and will it stay pulled like that, or will it be part of the healing process and come back to normal after the hole is filled?

Answered by Dr. Naveen Thomas

As you mentioned, the healing will take time if the extraction is difficult, so the wound will look like a defect but go away slowly.

The numbness or paraesthesia may sometimes happen when during extraction or while giving an injection, nerves may get injured. This numbness will take three to six months as the nerve heals very slowly. You can take multivitamin capsules called Neurobion-forte once daily for 30 to 60 days as it helps in the nerve repair and healing of wounds.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry

Community Banner Mobile

iCliniq's FREE Newsletters

Expert-backed health and wellness information, delivered to your email.

Subscribe iCliniq
By clicking Subscribe, I agree to the iCliniq Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy and understand that I may opt out of iCliniq subscriptions at any time.

Read answers about:

tooth extractionnumbness

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Dentistry

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy