Q. What is the treatment for numb and painful hands and fingers?

Dr. C Elanchezhian
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 05, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jun 10, 2019

I am 58 years old and currently working in a meat shop, working always in frozen foods. My problem now is about my hands (fingers). It is numb and painful. I always feel this everyday and wake up with numb and pain. Any medicine or vitamins aside from Vitamin B1, B6, B12?

Dr. C Elanchezhian

#

Long time keeping hand in freeze or ice cold things, your blood vessels constrict to avoid heat to escape from the body. Continuously blood vessels constriction will not allow blood to reach to the hand tissues and nerves. So, numbness and pain comes. If you are diabetic or hypertensive, condition will be worse. So, in between your work just rinse your hand and fingers in warm water, not very hot. Use thick rubber gloves to avoid direct cold to your hand.

| 

Can Spirulina 500 mg tablet replace body's vitamin B and folic acid requirements?

Query: Hi doctor, Can Spirulina 500 mg tablet be taken twice to replace the intake of 2.5 mg folic acid and vitamin B?  Read Full »

Why is there numbness in my hands and feet?

Query: Hi doctor, I have numbness in my hands and feet for the past two years. It is worsening gradually. The last month, it has got significantly aggravated. The numbness starts with tingling. When I am trying to grab something, I am unable to grab it. I also suffer from worsening cognitive function as I...  Read Full »

Why is my arm numb after blood draw?

Query: Hi doctor, I had blood drawn five weeks ago and since then felt numbness and tingling in my right arm and right leg. Although numbness and tingling have gotten better, I still feel slight numbness in right pinky and third finger. I also feel burning/pinching in the crease of my arm where she drew b...  Read Full »