Q. I am doing certain things repeatedly until I get satisfied. What could be my problem?

Dr. Ruhi Satija
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 16, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 18, 2020

I think I have a counting disorder. Whenever I do certain work I do not know from where this feeling comes to me that I have to do that same thing several times until I get satisfied. For example, whenever I pick a book then I have to pick that book four or more times and sometimes 20 times. Another example is that whenever I wash my clothes then also I pull out the clothes from the bucket 4-20 times until I get satisfied. Is my case normal or serious? Please help.

Dr. Ruhi Satija

Psychiatry
#

I am sorry to hear about your problem. Let me try to explain your problem in detail. What you are describing is called obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD).

A person suffering OCD has repetitive thoughts that are beyond control. For example in your case, it is this feeling of doing the same thing several times, these are obsessions. The act you do to feel better and get rid of these thoughts are called compulsions.

Coming to the management, the first thing you need to do is start cognitive behavioral therapy, in which the therapist will help you recognize his thoughts and teach you techniques to control them and not get involved in this behavior.

The second thing is medication, in severe cases medications are required. This can be checked after complete evaluation. Medication and cognitive behavioral therapy combined are the gold standard treatment of OCD.

| 

I get anxiety while making eye contact. Please help.

Query: Hey doctor, I have been shy for as long as I remember. Not sure when I started suffering from social anxiety, I guess it built up slowly. Probably started in the middle of my teenage years. I am 32 now. I have been able to get through pretty good during the years. However, something really nasty st...  Read Full »

Do people with OCD need to continue medicines throughout their life?

Query: Hello doctor, I need your help regarding OCD disease. It looks like my fiancee is having this problem and she has been suffering a lot since last month. I am seeing sudden changes in her behavior like getting sad, no feelings, and changes in the mood so frequently. She does not want to go outside a...  Read Full »

Can psychotherapy treat OCD?

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from OCD (Obsessive–compulsive disorder). How can it be treated by psychotherapy?  Read Full »