Q. In young age, I masturbated to amusing stories. Am I normal?

Dr. Hardik Tusharkant Bambhania
Published on Mar 17, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 25, 2019

When I was little, I sometimes masturbated to amusing stories I heard like a thief being caught and tickled by kids. I do not do that now. However, I remember that. I just want to be a normal guy. Does this mean I am not normal? Did that turn me into an abnormal guy? Any reassurance would give me tremendous relief. Thank you.

Dr. Hardik Tusharkant Bambhania

Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy
#

• We humans have all sorts of fantasies which can lead us to be either emotionally or sexually excited. During childhood we may have developed obsessions with certain things or scenarios. They can seem unusual or abnormal to us when we grow up.
  • Your fascination with stories of thief and being tickled by kids may be unusual; however masturbating to them is the compulsive action to those obsessions.
  • The activity may be called abnormal if it starts to disrupt your daily functions and routine life or relationships. I want to reassure you that your fantasies are not largely abnormal and you masturbating to them can be considered a normal reaction.
  • Although, you should seek counseling if ever the activity of masturbation seems to disturb your personal relationships, routine and if ever it can lead to any sort of impulsive or risky behavior in reality.
  • Often it is seen that a stressful lifestyle may drive us to relieve our tensions in unusual ways. This reaction in turn can actually get us hooked to the activity that soothes us. Hence, it is important to be self-aware about our emotions, actions and reactions.
  • To ease the tension, I would suggest you give a try to mindfulness meditation for at least 15 minutes daily, yoga and incorporate exercise in your routine.
  • Breathing exercises like pranayama are easy to be done even at work and 10 minutes a day of it will be very helpful in combating stress and anxiety. These will certainly fill you with new energy rather than expending it on any compulsive reactions.

1. Obsessive compulsive disorder.
2. Generalized anxiety disorder.
3. Panic disorder.
4. Depression.

Obsessive compulsive disorder.

Cognitive behavioral therapy.

1. Managing stress by meditation.
2. Yoga.
3. Breathing exercises.
4. Healthy lifestyle.

Revert back if you have any further disturbance in life to a psychologist counsellor online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychologist-counsellor

| 

How does yoga help senior citizens?

Query: Hi doctor, What are the health benefits and trends for yoga for senior citizens? Are there studios that have classes or professionals that cater to this demographic? Why choose yoga over other forms of fitness and stretching?  Read Full »

Is there a better medication to use long-term for generalized anxiety disorder?

Query: Hello doctor,I have GAD problem for more than two decades. Right now I am using Mirtazapine 15 mg and Rivotril 0.25 on SOS. Is there a better medication for long-term use? Previously I used Fludac 20 mg, Trazodone 25 mg and Buspar 5 mg (three times). After I shifted to Mirtaz. My problem is insuffic...  Read Full »

I lack confidence in myself and cannot talk to new people. Please help me.

Query: Hello doctor, I lack confidence when I am alone. I am always confident when it comes to the public. I really get busted and also I do not know why. I cannot talk to new people or crossgender with an initiative. I even do not know why I always feel lonely like I know I do not have people to talk eve...  Read Full »

Ask a Psychologist Counsellor Now