Q. Why do my thoughts become negative when I hear the word 'not'?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 05, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 12, 2021

Since the last six years, whenever I read or hear the word 'not', my mind becomes a pool of negative emotions. I feel heavy headed and lose focus, after this, I cannot read with a free mind. This 'not' word is stuck in my mind. Once or twice during my exams, I took SSRI for a month, but it did not help. I read so much about OCD and anxiety online, but cannot get rid of this word. I have been to a psychiatrist twice, but I do not know if they understood me. And as a doctor myself, I do not get much time to consult any other psychiatrist. Hope you understand me. And please get back to me as soon as possible.

#

I can understand your concern.

• Your symptoms are occurring due to some intrusive thoughts or anxiety. These intrusive thoughts are a part of OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) and should be evaluated.
  • As you are a doctor, you must be aware of obsessive compulsive disorder. The mind is dominated by unwanted and intrusive thoughts, these are purposeless and persist in the mind.
  • The treatment of choice is SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibition), that too in heavy doses. Fluoxetine or Fluvoxamine are preferred by psychiatrists. Fluoxetine 20 to 60 mg, is safe to use and will help to reduce unwanted thoughts in about 4 to 6 weeks.
  • The other option is behavioral therapy and relaxation exercises. Thought stopping technique, systematic exposure, etc. are common methods used in behavior therapy. If done properly, the behavior therapy has efficacy equal to the drugs.

Please do not delay the treatment and visit a psychiatrist as soon as possible. It will help in early recovery.

For further queries consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|