Q. I do not get enough sleep at night and feel tired throughout the day. Why?

Dr. Mashfika N Alam
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 26, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 28, 2020

I have been having sleepless nights for about a few months. Even if I get six to eight hours sleep at night, sometimes less than five, I always end up being tired throughout the day. I am always sleepy even if I drink coffee, but when I decide to get some sleep, I cannot sleep.

I am 18 years old and weigh about 74 kg. I have severe vitamin D deficiency for which I was prescribed vitamin tablets, which I stopped taking after a year. However, as per my last medical test, my condition has not improved. I go for a 30 minutes walk every morning and I am on a keto diet. My finals are coming up and I need a way to get proper sleep and not be drained throughout the day.

Dr. Mashfika N Alam

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

I understand you are concerned as sleep is vital for a proper functioning of the body. We need to look at a few things like have you gained weight recently or does this coincide with the sleep disturbances you have been suffering from? As I can see you are overweight and this can cause obstructive sleep apnea which keeps waking you up while asleep due to temporary episodes if apnea. So when you finally wake up, you may or may not have a headache and you are drowsy throughout the day.

Total inability to fall asleep could be stress-related. Do you suffer from chronic anxiety or stress or even depression? In these cases practicing yoga or meditation can help tremendously. But if you have the former, you need to reduce weight.

In order to diagnose exactly what is causing your sleep disturbances, give me more details like is there headache, nasal obstruction, symptoms of frequent stress or depression, etc?

| 

Why do I have excessive daytime sleepiness? How to treat it?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 16-year-old female. My weight is 85 kilograms, and I have a height of 5 feet 3 inch. I have excessive daytime sleepiness for the past three years. It got started in me before three years, and my parents took me to the local GP immediately. They did blood tests and told that I have...  Read Full »

What is the cause of left-sided hand and leg numbness?

Query: Hello doctor,Left side hand and leg numbness and tiredness. I am taking cardiac medications.  Read Full »

My energy levels are low, and feel sad and cranky. What can I do?

Query: Hello doctor, Lying all day not interested in literally anything, energy levels low, feel tired without any reasons, sad, cranky and not doing any work. This happens in cycles, might work for a day and then shut off for weeks doing nothing productive and feeling stuck. Been quite a long time experi...  Read Full »

Ask a Sleep Medicine Physician Now