Q. I get some unnecessary thoughts repeatedly after witnessing some incident. What to do?

Published on Dec 14, 2019 and last reviewed on: Dec 18, 2019

I am 25 years old. I think I got this disorder, whatever happens to someone I feel like it is going to happen to me. I think when I was in seventh grade I was watching a movie, in that a guy hates God and abuses God. I do not know what made to think I started abusing God even though I did not want to. So these thoughts were so repetitive.

After a year same thing happened I was just changing the channel and I found one serial interesting. In that a guy was lost from his family and was stuck in a forest, he was just looking around like he was lost. I do not know what made me think like how humans came to this world, how animals are evolved? Why did I get these thoughts? I started asking people some are like apes, it is God who created if it is God then why this happens?

For some reason, my mind was not ready for any answer. If I stick to God, I will be thinking fine, it is God who created man and animals then we found different languages, we made roads, we made money. So I will start thinking from the beginning. My mind will say look for a different answer, then I stick with the answer apes, then also I will start thinking from the beginning. I am not thinking about the present and future. I am going to the past and I will start thinking from the beginning. These were there for some months, later I joined engineering, in the final year it stated again where I was completely lost and thoughts were killing me. I did not sleep for a month. Finally consulted a doctor and was under medication for six months. I was super happy started enjoying my life. Now, after three years I am getting the same thoughts. Please help me.

Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology
#

I read your query and understand your concerns.

Although it is never possible to make a final diagnosis without interacting with the patient, the available description points toward the possibility of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). The OCD is a type of psychiatric disorder which causes repetitive thought pattern despite the due resistance by the sufferer. If the repetition is not done the person experiences extreme anxiety which forces again to do things or thinks in a particular direction.

Although it is one of the psychiatric disorder which needs consistent effort but there are a number of options available for its treatment. Most individuals respond to either medication or ERP (exposure response prevention therapy) a form of psychotherapy. Some of them may need a combined approach when there are severe symptoms.

Since it is a treatable disorder it is important to start treatment after talking to your doctor. In case you prefer online consultation you can have one here. I must inform you that personal consultation is better, but if the facilities are not available there is no harm in going for online consultation.

| 

How many HER2 injections are required after chemo and radiotherapy in breast cancer patient?

Query: Hello doctor,For a person who has completed six chemotherapy sessions and month-long radiation for breast cancer treatment, how many HER2 injections are required after the above? ERPR/HER2 parameters are negative.  Read Full »

Can my OCD get cured with lower dose of medicine?

Query: Hi doctor, I have brain lesion in the left temporal lobe size 0.9 mm as found in brain MRI. I had seizure twice two years ago. I am also suffering from OCD. Fluoxetine 40 mg has been very effective in treating OCD, but caused memory problem, speech problem and lack of concentration. When can I lower...  Read Full »

Ask a Psychologist Counsellor Now