Q. Will eating deep fried foods turn to be bad for health?

Dr. Suneetha B S
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 16, 2014 and last reviewed on: Jan 20, 2022

I often eat deep fried potatoes with chilly powder. Some say that it will turn into bad materials after they reach the belly. I do not believe it. Is that true? Why is it so?

#

Any food that is deep fried in oil or that contains oil in considerable amounts is not good for your body. Excessive intake of oil might lead to cholesterol deposition in your blood vessels, which in turn can reduce blood supply to the heart. This poses a future risk of heart disease. Moreover, excessive intake of oily food is also a risk factor for obesity.

If you indulge in regular physical exercise and control your intake of oily food on a daily basis, you can take a small serving of maybe a small cup of your favorite fried potatoes once a week. This again depends on your age, physical activity, and medical history. Just to stay on the safer side, I advise you to undergo a laboratory test called lipid profile. The blood sample will be taken on an empty stomach. This test will give you an insight into your blood levels of cholesterol and triglycerides.

|