Q. Oil-like substance is floating from my stools. What is going on with me?

Arul Amuthan
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 29, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 13, 2019

I am having digestive issues for some time, gotten a bit worse. Symptoms: bowel bloating and pain after meals or sometimes on empty stomach middle of the night, mornings, acid reflux with everything I eat, I eat purely healthy, puree my veggies and small amounts of chicken, eggs, salmon when I can. My stools are loose in the mornings with oil-like substance floating on top of the water, yellowish or green. At times, mucus as well. Discharge looks like white cloudy pieces floating. Feeling fatigue pains, depressed, cannot go to work. Going in for a consultation and testing soon. I just wanted to know what could be going on with me.

#

You have acid peptic disease (peptic ulcer) which is usually controlled by PPI (proton pump inhibitor). You are already taking this.

If you could not correct dietary practices, you may not get complete relief. You should avoid, chilly, fresh onion, and oily foods (fried items) and non- vegetarian foods.

Stomach finds it difficult to digest foods. So, consume easily digestible foods like fresh fruits, fruit juices, sliced vegetables, steamed foods, etc. Avoid tea and coffee which never allow the peptic ulcer to heal.

Daily morning take one cup of pumpkin juice on an empty stomach. Do not eat raw vegetables (such as cucumber cut pieces, etc) in large quantities. Eat the same in small quantity after completely chewing into a paste.

While sleeping you should sleep in left lateral or supine. Never sleep in right lateral and prone position. You can practice pranayama to balance autonomic systems. You also need to come out of stress situation, because stress certainly increases acid secretion.

Do not skip any meals. If required, please undergo endoscopy to see if any ulcer is present. Continue the dietary, yogic, and drug therapy for at least six months. Thank you.

For more information consult a naturopathy specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/naturopathy-specialist

I would like to know one more thing. Where is that oily substance coming from? Is it bile? Should I be concerned about it?

#

The oil-like substance may be the excess bile, undigested food materials, mucus secretion from intestine due to the local irritation, etc.

If the digestion process is not complete, then the undigested food along with bile/mucus will float on water because the intestinal contents are not fully formed stool in your case.

|