Q. Can I take Olanzapine for depressive personality disorder?

Dr. Ruhi Satija

I am a guy , 23 years old and I was suffering kind of social anxiety in my childhood and in my teenage and that is why I visited a psychiatrist when I was 18 years old, five years ago and he prescipted me zoloft 50 and olanzapine 2.5 without telling me the exact problem and by starting taking them I sarted getting some relationships and better social skills but recently I visited him again because of feeling not okay and getting angry easily and he prescripted me the same old medications plus third one which is sodium valproate 200. He told me that it prevents person from getting angry and keeps the mood stable and he told me that I have "depressive personality disorder". But my fears and my family fears is about olanzapine and its side effects. They see it irrelevant for depression and related to psychosis. Do I really need olanzapine?

#

I do understand the confusion, Olanzapine is an antipsychotic , that is why you are concerned. But a dose of Olanzapine upto 5 mg is often added with antidepressant to help with initial control of severe symptoms. It can be stopped after a while. But now that you have mentioned that you have anger issues as well. I think Olanzapine will help you to some level. A dose of 2.5 is very less and apt for this. What you need to do is start therapy and learn Techniques to control your anger and reduce your anxiety. You can work on confidence building. Once you start feeling better, you can think of reducing the medication. About being depressive personality. ! I need to evaluate you properly to be able to justify it.

|