Q. Please go through my dental x-ray and let me know if there is any cavity.

Dr. Prerna Jain
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 27, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 07, 2020

I have got a dental x-ray done today. I got a root canal on the upper second tooth from the canine. Please go through my dental x-ray and inform about cavities if any.

#

• I would like to tell you that OPG - orthopantomogram x-ray is not the most reliable investigation for diagnosing cavities.
  • The reason is that it is a larger x-ray of the whole oral cavity, which is great for studying the relation between teeth and bones. Unless the cavity is big, it is not clearly seen on the OPG. Also, a lot of teeth overlap.
  • Having said this, it seems that your upper right and left third molars or wisdom teeth have cavities. Also, your lower right first molar, that is the tooth before the RCT treated tooth, may also have cavity below the filling.
  • But, it is usually misleading when cavities are seen next to the filling. Thus, diagnosis can be done by a smaller x-ray (IOPA - intraoral periapical radiograph) along with clinical symptoms if any.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Thank you for the reply doctor,

My dentist told me to get both the top wisdom teeth and bottom right one extracted as they are impacted. My lower left is not yet erupted. Other than that one left tooth before first molar, I got RCT done today. My doctor told me the filling came off and the cavity is deep.

#

• That is right. With just the x-rays it is not reliable to say that teeth are impacted. The lower left wisdom tooth is certainly impacted.
  • The upper two and lower right wisdom teeth have partially or wholly erupted, so it would not be correct to say that they are impacted. However, there is less space for those teeth in the arch. So, it would not be a bad idea to get them extracted.
  • Also, the lower left one must also be surgically removed as it is locked below the second molar (tooth in front of it). If not removed, over a few years, it may lead to cavity or restoration of the second molar.

For further doubts consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|