Q. How to confirm a cancerous lesion?

Dr. Alok Rathi
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 07, 2015 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have small lesion in my right tonsil. It is in the same color of other tissues in my mouth. It is a kind of slim oval shape. My dermatologist advised me to visit my physician regarding when I went for a mucous cyst removal on my lip. I visited my GP who said it is same like lip cyst, probably from hot liquids or chips due to irritation. I do not remember eating or drinking anything that could cause it? My fear is that my cousin has had tongue cancer twice. He smoked and drank a lot and was in his 50s when diagnosed. But, I never smoke, drink only little alcohol, I am free of the HPV virus and I am 65 years old. I want to put my mind in rest. I have attached a picture. You can see it on the picture close to the red line on the right side of the tonsil. Thank you.

#

• First thing, I would like to tell you is that on appearance it does not look like cancer.
  • But, what you feel by fingers is more important than what you see. This means that a normal appearing smooth swelling can be a cancer especially in elderly people if it is indurated on palpation.
  • If you have any other symptom or any swelling in neck, then there is a reason to worry.
  • The only way is to take a biopsy also known as histopathology examination. Nowadays PET scan is also helpful, but still biopsy remains a gold standard.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

What does 'indurated on palpitation' mean? I nearly choked myself by pushing it with my finger. It feels pretty much like the rest of the area. I pushed at it with a Q-tip and it moves back and forth. There is no neck swelling. Please explain further.

#

• Induration is feeling of firmness which may be painful on touching it. You do not seem to have that as per your description of findings.
  • I can suggest you to wait for two weeks. If swelling remains same, nothing to worry. Just keep observing the swelling. If it remains the same or decrease in size with no increase or no new onset of pain or no new symptoms, then just relax.
  • If there is no change in two months, then reassess after six months. Cancer will show changes at least in two months and benign swelling will show at least in six months.
  • Even then no such change, then I can guarantee that it is neither cancer nor any benign swelling.

|