Q. I have a white patch on the tongue and roof of mouth post medication. Kindly help.

Dr. Radhika Shukla

I recently had a chest infection and was treated with Prednisone, Azithromycin, Paracetamol, and Brozdec. After my medicines were done, I started experiencing throat pain and noticed redness in my throat and a white substance on the roof of my mouth, which I wiped off with Hydrogen peroxide and a cotton swab. Now I am experiencing tongue discoloration, and it is turning pink were used to be white.

#

Looking at the photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and since the white layer wipes off, it seems like oral candidiasis. Oral candidiasis is a fungal infection. Can it happen in immunocompromised conditions like diabetes, HIV, or patients on steroids for a long time? Prednisolone is a steroid, if taken for long periods, can result in candidiasis. However, the benefits of Prednisolone may outweigh the side effects in some conditions.

Use Candid mouth paint over the white spots three times a day after food for ten days, Chlorhexidine mouth wash three times a day before putting the Candid mouth paint for ten days, and tablet Vitamin C 500 mg or Limcee or Celin once a day for ten days.

I am also on asthma inhalers daily Belcoforte 260 mg and Ventolin inhaler 100 mcg only when needed. Are there other health implications of this condition? Is there any food I should be avoiding while I experience this?

#

Belcoforte is a steroid spray. Steroid powder residues remain in the mouth and oral cavity whenever you use an inhaler. So these residues, when remains, might act as a nidus for fungal infection. Do what you need to do is rinse your mouth after using inhalers to prevent candidiasis.

Oral candidiasis might suggest that you might be immunocompromised using steroid sprays (Belcoforte) and steroid tablets (Prednisolone) for long periods. It might also happen if one is diabetic or having HIV or AIDS.

You should avoid spicy foods as oral candidiasis might get aggravated. You should avoid sweets and sugars if you have diabetes.

|