Q. Can cervical tuberculosis spread to partner and family?

Dr. Arpit Varshney
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 27, 2022 and last reviewed on: Nov 24, 2022

My age is 25 years, my weight is 57 kg, and my height is 161 cm. I had swelling on the left side of my neck, and later on, I was diagnosed with lymph node TB, and I have been taking TB medicines since the end of last year. I have been married for the past year, and I would like to know if my husband is at risk as we have kissed and have shared a physical relationship. Should I isolate myself or take any other precautions to stop the infection from spreading to my family?

#

I have read your concern in detail and will surely help you out. If you have only had cervical tuberculosis (TB), your husband is not at risk. TB is generally spread through the droplet route. However, if you also have active pulmonary TB, your husband and family members may be at risk. Right now, the best way to ascertain if you have pulmonary TB is through a chest X-ray. You can send me the chest X-ray or discuss it with your local physician. If the chest X-ray is clear, with no signs of TB, then your family members are safe, and no precautions are required. However, if the chest X-ray suggests a TB infection in the lungs, you need to maintain distance from family members until the treatment is completed.

I hope this helps you.

Kindly revert in case of any further queries.

|