HomeAnswersOrthodontistorthodontic treatmentIs it fine to Remove only upper wisdom teeth for a treatment?

Is it advisable to extract only the upper wisdom teeth and retain the lower ones for orthodontic treatment?

Share

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. K. Shobana

Published At October 8, 2022
Reviewed AtOctober 9, 2023

Patient's Query

I have retained baby teeth with teeth crowding and unerupted wisdom teeth. I consulted an orthodontist, and he suggested extracting two teeth from the upper and lower arch for correction. But, he told me to extract my upper wisdom teeth instead of removing another two teeth from the upper arch, and we could use the bottom wisdom teeth for the missing teeth. What would happen if I had more teeth in the lower arch than the upper arch? Does the upper teeth move backward during the treatment? Is there any problem if my lower wisdom teeth do not have opposing teeth? Would this cause any jaw problems? Kindly help. Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Naveen Thomas

Orthodontists decide the required extractions for treatment based on the amount of tooth material you have on both the upper and lower jaw. Sometimes even if the upper jaw has less number of teeth than the lower, the size would be greater and thus would compensate for the less number. I need to see pictures of your teeth to tell you more about your problem. Usually, an orthodontist knows what is required and will do needful, so it is better to follow their advice and do accordingly. If you want more details, attach pictures and X-rays if possible. I hope I was helpful to you. Thank you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Orthodontist

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy