Q. My upper jaw is V-shaped and advised for extraction to create space. Should I go for it?

Dr. Akmal Abdelmalek

My teeth are improperly aligned. My orthodontist says that my upper jaw arch is V-shaped which is normally U-shaped. And that they have to extract two upper premolars to create room for arch expansion. I am not sure if the space of two teeth can be filled up completely. Should I go for a tooth extraction? How much time will it take to fill up the gap?

#

Extraction of teeth for orthodontic reasons is not an uncommon practice and any tooth in the mouth can be removed provided that it is the most suitable one. In most cases, this tooth is one next to your cuspid or eyetooth. that is four teeth in both arches. Tooth removal is not based solely on incisor imbrication or lack of space to align the teeth. There are many other factors that the orthodontist takes into consideration before embarking on such an irreversible decision.

Maintaining the arch form is one factor that to be considered as any change is prone to relapse. Another factor is your profile, nose, and general appearance of your face because tooth removal tends to cause the face to suck in and vice versa. So if your profile looks convex and your teeth are protruding, tooth removal is required. Regarding how long it takes for the extraction spaces to close. This depends on several factors like the degree of crowding and how your bite looks but it usually does not add to the treatment time more than six months.

Tooth size-arch length discrepancy.

Extraoral and intraoral photos. Panoramic radiograph. Lateral cephalometric view.

Orthodontic treatment with fixed appliances.

|