Q. My 3 months old baby has 6 mm ostium secundum ASD. Will it close without surgery?

Dr. Isaac Gana
Published on Nov 22, 2019

My baby boy is 3.5 months old. He was diagnosed with VSD when he was 2 months and his cardiologist asked for followup after a month. On out checkup his 3 mm VSD was closed, but the doctor discovered 6 mm ostium secundum ASD. He said that it can close spontaneously just like the VSD, so we have to check it after three months. We needed a second opinion so we consulted another cardiologist who echoed my baby and found out the same results, but he said that it is 6 mm superior secundum, but it will not close on its own cause of its position. Is it really true that my baby can get it closed only by open-heart surgery? I am worried about the scar and the side effects on my baby.

Dr. Isaac Gana

Cardiology
#

Welcome to iclniq.com.

I understand your worries. No need to worry all will be fine. From my experience, ASD (atrial septal defect) of 6 mm can still close by itself regardless of its position. I will advise you to wait till your baby is 6 months old to have him checked again before a decision can be made to operate on him. It is safer operating on older children than infants.

If it does not close, later on, scars would not be a problem. Scars will be minimal and be eliminated using cosmetic or plastic procedures. There is hardly any effects after surgery, he will live a normal life. I hope he gets better soon.

| 

Which is better for moderate OS ASD - medicines or surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, Recently, we came to know that my mother has a congenital heart disease (moderate OS ASD with left to right shunt) at the age of 46. And we consulted the doctors. One of them said it can be cured by medicines and another said surgery will be a better option. So, please help us as soon as...  Read Full »

Is ASD a dangerous condition?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 2 years 4 months old. He weighs 11 kg. When he was 4 months old, his doctor recommended me to take echo test. In echo he found acyanotic congenital heart disease. The report showed a small ASD 6 mm left to right shunt RA RV. Normal biventricular function. Mild PS GMAX 20 mm ...  Read Full »

How does congenital heart disease affect pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is pregnant now with nearly 10 weeks. She has congenital heart disease, so I need some clarity from you for getting the successful delivery. All reports including echo and ultrasound scan report are attached here for your reference. Importantly, she has not got any symptoms till ...  Read Full »