Q. Is there any surgery to fix Osgood-Schlatter disease?

Dr. Atul Prakash

I have Osgood-Schlatter in both knees and have had it for three years now. Should it be healed by now? Is there anything you can do to fix it by surgery? My knee is not stable and giving way. I have been to more than 20 physio appointments for my knees to strengthen the muscles around, but nothing seems to help my knees.

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert Orthopedics And Traumatology Physiotherapy Spine Health
#

• Osgood-Schlatter is a problem of the apophysis of the tibia where the patellar tendon attaches.
  • It is a painful condition and is treated with local therapy and activity reduction till the patient stops growing. Usually, the pain settles down at that stage, but the bump remains.
  • The feeling of instability and giving way is related to patella not sitting properly in the trochlea and is unlike getting better with age, but physio and VMO (vastusmedialis oblique) exercises are helpful. And, that is what they are trying with you.
  • If this fails and it is not uncommon, then a full workup and assessment of the cause and distal shift of the tibial tubercle has to be done.
  • Have you had long leg views, TTTG measurement (tibial tubercle and trochlear groove distance) on MRI, etc?

Revert with more information to a physiotherapist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/physiotherapist

|