Q. I have knee pain in both knees due to an injury. How do I improve?

Dr. Suman Saurabh
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

I am a 38-year-old female.

I have knee pain in both knees out of injury-induced, and earlier I had knee osteoarthritis as by the X-ray report. How do I improve?

#

I am sorry to hear about your injury. It is very rare to see osteoarthritis in both knees after trauma. You might be having early degenerative osteoarthritis or maybe chondromalacia patella. One thing I would like to ask if you have any other joint pain or morning stiffness? See, as per X-ray (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), it does not appear severe type. I am advising below. Kindly follow it.

Thanks and regards.

Early degenerative osteoarthritis in both knee.

Avoid squatting and cross leg sitting.
Start doing quadriceps exercises and hamstring stretching exercises.
Capsule Vitamin D3 60 K weekly for 8 weeks
Tablet Hilin GM (Diacerein and Glucosamine) 1 BD for one month.
Diclofenac gel locally apply twice a day.

Review after one month.

Thanks for the reply.

The pain is mostly on the left side of the right knee and the right side of the left knee. Sometimes it is on the kneecap also. The X-ray says median joint space reduction. I had this pain after doing squatting for some days during the first lockdown phase. Then it subsided and has again recurred during December, January. I never had such pain before. No, there is no other joint pain or morning stiffness. My blood test for rheumatoid arthritis shows normal. Uric acid all are normal in the blood test. Only vitamin D is 17.

Do I need to do any MRI etc.?

Will it get cured?

#

I am glad that you replied back. As your blood reports are normal, you do not seem to have inflammatory arthritis. Yes, it will get cured. Just follow that advice and keep doing exercises regularly as it will help the most. I do not think MRI will help much.

Keep it up.

|