Q. My mom met with two major falls. Is that due to Achilles tendon weakness?

Dr. Sumit Chawla
Published on Jul 31, 2016

I have a question for my mother. My mother is 50 years old. She complains of episodic, sudden loss of weight bearing ability on the left Achilles tendon. This has resulted in two major falls, which resulted in trauma. These are present for past few months and have become more frequent in the last month. She also has pain in her knees bilaterally, which has been attributed to osteoarthritis. She also complains of hip pain associated with swelling and difficulty in standing, lying and changing sides while sleeping. There is episodic stiffness present in the shoulders, which causes some discomfort in raising arms above the shoulder level. She is taking Bisoprolol 5 mg and Amlodipine 5 mg for high BP and it is well-controlled. She has no history of any allergy. She has kidney stones and so occasional pain in the lumbar area. She used to get constipation frequently. She was hospitalized four times for normal vaginal deliveries and once for abortion. She is monogamous with her husband. She has a positive family history of hypertension in mother, CAD in father, mother and brother and uterine cancer in mother. She has a history of menorrhagia and cycles have become more irregular now. Then, diagnostic D and C was performed last year, which was normal. She will not smoke or drink. She sleeps 4 to 6 hours daily and snores at night.

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

I have gone through your mother's elaborative history provided here, along with the reports attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity) with this query.

• For diagnosing it x-ray of the shoulder will be required. Early osteoarthritis and periarthritis (frozen shoulder) can be managed by similar guidelines with range of motion exercises and steroid injections. Arthroscopic procedures can also give good results during early cases.
  • If it is osteoarthritis shoulder joint, then the treatment will depend on the severity of the disease.
  • I think it is more likely to be frozen shoulder (periarthritis shoulder) rather than osteoarthritis considering her age group.
  • Although, your mother has uric acid in the high normal range, I would not consider starting any gout medication as the medication once started will become a lifelong therapy in addition to her hypertension treatment.
  • Secondly, there are no signs or symptoms of the effects of increased uric acid. My recommendation is to have dietary and lifestyle modifications to lower uric acid concentration and drug therapy to be started if there are symptoms of polyarthralgia involving small joints especially foot.
  • There is no condition where the Achilles tendon is intermittently unable to bear weight. People with traumatic injury to Achilles tendon are able to walk although with difficulty.
  • So, kindly assess the function of Achilles tendon properly as there is some other pathology in falling episodes of your mother rather than an intermittent giving way by TA.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Osteoarthritis of Knee

Article Overview: This is a patient information article on wear and tear in knee joint. It gives information regarding understanding of osteoarthritis of knee its causes, prevention and methods of treatment available. Read Article

Dr. Mohan Krishna

Osteoarthritis can affect any joint in the body. It is like wear and tear which develops over many years. It is common in people over 50 years of age, particularly in women. Both knees need not to be affected at the same time. The cartilage gradually roughens and becomes thin exposing the underlyin...  Read Article

I have pain in my knee. Is it because of osteoarthritis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have pain in the right knee for two months. While using a staircase, it used to pain initially whenever I starting walking or running. The pain is exactly on the front side of the knee and just below the left side of the kneecap. I started jogging a year back and continued for six m...  Read Full >>

Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your X-rays are normal for age (attachment removed to protect patient identity). What you describe is patellofemoral compression syndrome and weight gain, wrong exercises, jogging on an incline, poor shoe wear, open chain exercise like squats, knee rolls have a role ...  Read Full

I have neck and shoulder pain that go away when I lie down. Any suggestions?

Query: Hello doctor,I complained of neck and shoulder pain. It was diagnosed to be muscle spasm by a doctor. X-ray has been taken. I was given cream and Muscadol tablets. I used ice and some exercise. It worked over 90 % but the problem is I feel pain after sitting on a chair for 10 minutes continually. It...  Read Full >>

Dr. Firas Arnaout

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your young age makes arthritis (wear and tear) unlikely. And you did not mention any history of traumatic injuries to your neck. The issue seems to be postural as the pain appears after sitting up and resolves on lying down. It would be useful to check the Xrays to ...  Read Full

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now