Q. My mom met with two major falls. Is that due to Achilles tendon weakness?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Chawla and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Osteoarthritis Of Knee or Osteoarthritis? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I have a question for my mother. My mother is 50 years old. She complains of episodic, sudden loss of weight bearing ability on the left Achilles tendon. This has resulted in two major falls, which resulted in trauma. These are present for past few months and have become more frequent in the last month. She also has pain in her knees bilaterally, which has been attributed to osteoarthritis. She also complains of hip pain associated with swelling and difficulty in standing, lying and changing sides while sleeping. There is episodic stiffness present in the shoulders, which causes some discomfort in raising arms above the shoulder level. She is taking Bisoprolol 5 mg and Amlodipine 5 mg for high BP and it is well-controlled. She has no history of any allergy. She has kidney stones and so occasional pain in the lumbar area. She used to get constipation frequently. She was hospitalized four times for normal vaginal deliveries and once for abortion. She is monogamous with her husband. She has a positive family history of hypertension in mother, CAD in father, mother and brother and uterine cancer in mother. She has a history of menorrhagia and cycles have become more irregular now. Then, diagnostic D and C was performed last year, which was normal. She will not smoke or drink. She sleeps 4 to 6 hours daily and snores at night.