Q. Other than painkiller, can you suggest some option for knee pain?

Answered by
Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 04, 2020

Hi doctor,

My mother has been suffering from knee OA. It is more on the left than the right. Her age is 54. She feels pain while walking and as a result of that she is unable to reduce weight. Currently, she is taking Jointace tablet, but there is no relief. Can you suggest some alternate option other than painkiller? She is also on Ecosprin, Rosuvas and Telma.



Welcome to

  • I have gone through your mother's x-rays (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and there is definite degeneration in both her knee joints, which is also expected to happen at this age.
  • As far as management, it will be better if I can know a few more details from you regarding her. How much distance she can walk on a daily basis?
  • What is the requirement for analgesic? Also, let me know her knee range of movements.
  • Your mother needs to do intensive physical therapy, including strengthening of quadriceps and her hamstring group of muscles.
  • Lifestyle modification like use of western toilets, avoid sitting cross legged, etc.
  • Daily brisk walks in the morning for about 2 to 3 km in 30 to 40 minutes. She should avoid high impact activities like jogging, doing treadmill, etc.
  • Apart from these factors, I suggest using knee viscosupplementation injections along with a steroid like Triamcinolone, which gives a good lubrication to the joint and allows a streamlined physical therapy program to be done on the patient.
  • Also, I suggest a medication called as Co-Rosiflex (Collagen hydrolysate), which comes in the form of a sachet. It needs to be taken once a day and has evidence that it helps in cartilage protection and some regeneration also.
  • Lastly, regular calcium and vitamin D intake is required, so that bone metabolism remains healthy. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

The Probable causes:

Degeneration of knee.

Treatment plan:

1. Calcium and vitamin D supplementation.
2. Co-Rosiflex Sachet one per day for three months.
3. Viscosupplementation injections.

Regarding follow up:

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online.--->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I tripped while walking and middle toe is bent downward. Kindly give some advise.

.. probably a sprain of ligaments. A break or fracture is less common from your description. Also, the fracture would have caused severe pain even at rest and not just on using the foot. I think that you can continue using ice, give rest to the foot ...   Read full

How can knee pain be prevented?

.. is a common complaint that affects people of all ages. Knee pain may be the result of an injury or some other medical conditions including arthritis, patellar tendinitis, ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) injury, knee bursitis, torn meniscus, gout...   Read full

Dr.Sarah M Alhennawy

faculty of physical therapy.,clinical nutrition   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Nipah Virus: Stay Safe from This Deadly Disease
The recent speculation about the spread of the Nipah virus in a Southern State in India has surely brought jittery feeli...  Read more»
What to Do When Someone Turns COVID-Positive At Home?
COVID-19 pandemic has affected so many people, and many of them are advised for home care. This article explains the pre...  Read more»
Guidelines for Management of COVID-19 In Children
Amidst the concerns that children will be the target in the third wave of COVID-19, they have come up with certain guide...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.