Q. Other than painkiller, can you suggest some option for knee pain?

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 04, 2020

My mother has been suffering from knee OA. It is more on the left than the right. Her age is 54. She feels pain while walking and as a result of that she is unable to reduce weight. Currently, she is taking Jointace tablet, but there is no relief. Can you suggest some alternate option other than painkiller? She is also on Ecosprin, Rosuvas and Telma.

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Surgery
#

• I have gone through your mother's x-rays (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and there is definite degeneration in both her knee joints, which is also expected to happen at this age.
  • As far as management, it will be better if I can know a few more details from you regarding her. How much distance she can walk on a daily basis?
  • What is the requirement for analgesic? Also, let me know her knee range of movements.
  • Your mother needs to do intensive physical therapy, including strengthening of quadriceps and her hamstring group of muscles.
  • Lifestyle modification like use of western toilets, avoid sitting cross legged, etc.
  • Daily brisk walks in the morning for about 2 to 3 km in 30 to 40 minutes. She should avoid high impact activities like jogging, doing treadmill, etc.
  • Apart from these factors, I suggest using knee viscosupplementation injections along with a steroid like Triamcinolone, which gives a good lubrication to the joint and allows a streamlined physical therapy program to be done on the patient.
  • Also, I suggest a medication called as Co-Rosiflex (Collagen hydrolysate), which comes in the form of a sachet. It needs to be taken once a day and has evidence that it helps in cartilage protection and some regeneration also.
  • Lastly, regular calcium and vitamin D intake is required, so that bone metabolism remains healthy. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

Degeneration of knee.

1. Calcium and vitamin D supplementation.
2. Co-Rosiflex Sachet one per day for three months.
3. Viscosupplementation injections.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|