Q. What can cause sudden knee pain?

Dr. Saumya Mittal
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 22, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 10, 2020

My wife is suffering from left knee pain. While walking, she drags her left leg. But, she can fold her knee normally. It started a few months ago without any cause. What is it?

#

• You need to check out the x-ray of knee. There may be a possibility of osteoarthritis.
  • Your treatment will depend on the x-ray report.

Revert back with the knee x-ray to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

My wife is 57 years old. She has high BP and taking Lara 25 with Cilaheart-5 as per physician's advice. She had some treatment for her knee pain, but there is no permanent result. She is still limping while walking, but she can bend her knees. She is not diabetic. The x-ray of her knee, which was done earlier, has been attached. Please advise her to get out of the pain and limping.

#

• The report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) also says that she is suffering from osteoarthritis.
  • In a patient with such a problem, I would suggest:
  1. Tablet Glucosamine.
  2. Tablet Diacerein.
  3. Tablet Etoricoxib SOS, as and when required. 
  4. Physiotherapy.
  • The dose of medicine would need to be stepped up gradually. Have you met a rheumatology specialist so far?

Revert back with the answers to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thanks for your advice. Please let me know the dosage of the medicine as suggested by you. We have not met any rheumatology specialist so far.

#

• You can try tablet Cartigen forte (combination of Glucosamine, Methylsulphonylmethane and Chondroitin Sulphate).
  • Initially, start with one tablet once a day. We can increase the dose gradually.
  • Do meet a rheumatology specialist locally for further treatment. Best of luck.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|