Q. Is it advisable to do mixed martial arts for osteoarthritis and sciatica?

Dr. Jay Indravadan Patel
Published on Feb 20, 2019

I currently suffer from osteoarthritis and sciatica in my lower back. I have been told by a personal trainer that taking up mixed martial arts classes would be good for my conditions. Can you confirm whether this is correct?

#

What I feel is mixed martial arts would damage the tissue more for now until we come up to some level of muscle strength. I would advise you to focus on some exercises which are listed below. This exercise should be gradually increased from week to week and continued for 12 to 15 weeks. First set of exercise to lay on your back and performed for both the lower limbs.

1. Straight leg raise.

2. Pressing the knee down keeping the leg straight.

3. Bridging exercise.

4. Leg raise two inches of floor sideways.

5. Leg raise and circle-clockwise and anticlockwise.

6. Both the legs up and down.

The second set of exercise to lay on your stomach and performed for both lower limbs.

1. Knee bend and lifting it up.

2. Knee bend and lifting it up two inches and sideways.

3. Leg straight up and performing circle- clockwise and anticlockwise.

4. Fold the leg and try to lift both the knees up and down.

The third set of exercise is to lay on your side and perform for both legs one after another.

1. Straight leg raise.

2. Circle- clockwise and anticlockwise.

Please follow this routine as it will help stabilize the core and also will help improve the lower limb muscles to become stronger. Please contact after a week so we can figure out which exercise is difficult and which needs modification. Please do 20 repetitions of each movement. We will reassess and plan the next course of action.

Wear and tear.

None.

Back pain.

Disc disease with OA.

Exercise.

None.

Easy Exercises for Knee Osteoarthritis (OA)

Article Overview: This article talks briefly about knee osteoarthritis and stresses on how you can benefit from special physiotherapy exercises for the knee. Read Article

Dr. Ankita Sharma
Physiotherapist

Osteoarthritis is a form of arthritis that features the breakdown and eventually, loss of the cartilage of one or more joints. Osteoarthritis occurs more frequently as we age, the common age group of onset being 40 to 50 years. Osteoarthritis is referred to as degenerative joint diseases (DJD). Oste...  Read Article

Do you recommend surgery for sciatica?

Query: Hi doctor, I am diagnosed with slip disc L4-L5 and my sciatic nerve is pressed. Due to which I am finding difficulty to walk and sit. My left foot is numb. I have a lot of pain and stiffness in my calf and thighs. Please advise.  Read Full >>

Dr. Rajyaguru

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your symptoms. Clinically, you have sciatica for sure. But, radiologically the compression is not so severe that I have to advise you surgery (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I would suggest a conservative trial first, Consult your specialist...  Read Full

I have pain in my knee. Is it because of osteoarthritis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have pain in the right knee for two months. While using a staircase, it used to pain initially whenever I starting walking or running. The pain is exactly on the front side of the knee and just below the left side of the kneecap. I started jogging a year back and continued for six m...  Read Full >>

Dr. Atul Prakash

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your X-rays are normal for age (attachment removed to protect patient identity). What you describe is patellofemoral compression syndrome and weight gain, wrong exercises, jogging on an incline, poor shoe wear, open chain exercise like squats, knee rolls have a role ...  Read Full

Ask a Physiotherapist Now