Q. I have lumbosacral osteomyelitis and epidural abscess. Is it still there?

Dr. Vivek Chail
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I was diagnosed with lumbosacral osteomyelitis. So I took ATT for eight months, followed by Linezolid and Ciprofloxacin for five months. I discontinued antibiotics due to peripheral neuropathy. Recently, a contrast MRI was made. Could you please tell me how much the improvement is based on the radiology (lumbosacral MRI contrast) reports? Currently, I am taking only Vitamin D, Calcium, and multivitamin supplements.

#

Thanks for writing in to us.

I hope you are not in much discomfort. On comparing the MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) LS (lumbosacral) spine reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) taken in the past ten months.I find that certain areas are showing likely healing changes in the bones of the spine.

There was bone destruction in the new report mentioned in the previous report, but there are sclerotic changes also, and the disc space is decreased. The changes might suggest partial healing, and complete recovery usually needs time.

There are continuous inflammatory changes around the bones, and this needs to be discussed with the treating doctor as your medicines need to be discontinued for some time.

Thank you, doctor, for your reply.

You are very much appreciated. What would say about the prevertebral and epidural abscess compared to the MRI report taken ten months back? The abscess has disappeared with the antibiotic treatment, or is it still there?

#

Thanks for writing in to us.

A soft tissue thickening is present in the new report in the previous abscess area (attachment removed to protect patient identity). In MRI language, the previous collection showed the prevertebral, epidural collection, and peripheral wall enhancement. Therefore it is given as an abscess collection.

If you view the new report, there is soft tissue thickening and moderate intense post-contrast enhancement. The epidural component is not given in the new information.

Because of the above information, I feel that the abscess component has decreased, and now we have a soft tissue thickening in that area. The epidural part is resolved. The findings suggest good treatment changes.

As you know, TB (tuberculosis) and spine infections take a long time to heal, and continuation of treatment needs to be discussed after evaluation of general improvement in your health. So I will not say that the infection has completely disappeared but is in the process of slow healing. Follow-up with an MRI scan is needed to confirm the progress of recovery.

|