iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersOrthopedician and TraumatologyosteoporosisWhy do I have muscle weakness even after increasing my daily intake of protein?

Can increasing the daily intake of protein help overcome muscle weakness?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Dr. Manav Gupta

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At August 11, 2022
Reviewed AtAugust 30, 2023

Patient's Query

I have had muscular weakness for the last two to three years. Six months ago, I came to know that the protein intake has to be 1 to 1.2 grams per kg body weight. Therefore, I added 25 gm protein to my daily intake of 40 gm. However, there has been no improvement in my symptoms. Also, I was diagnosed with osteoporosis seven years ago and osteoarthritis a few years ago. I have been taking allopathic and ayurvedic treatments for both conditions. Can you kindly suggest ways to improve my muscle weakness?

Answered by Dr. Manav Gupta

I understand your concern.

Muscle weakness is common in osteopenia. As BMD (bone mineral density) improves, there will be an improvement in your strength as well. Your protein intake is fine. Do you have a history of hypertension, diabetes, or thyroid disease? I suggest you start the below physical exercises:

1. Calf strengthening exercises.
  2. ITB (iliotibial band) stretches.
  3. Ankle strengthening exercises.
  4. Also, I suggest you get your vitamin D3 levels checked.

I hope this helps. Kindly revert in case of further questions.

Patient's Query

Thank you for the response. My blood pressure is under control. Also, I do not have diabetes or thyroid disease. However, my vitamin D3 levels are low. Can you kindly suggest a medication to improve my muscle quality?

Answered by Dr. Manav Gupta

I suggest you take vitamin D3 supplements and a high protein diet. Also, continue the treatment for osteoporosis. Exercises will improve the muscle mass slowly, and you will see an improvement in three to four weeks.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Manav Gupta
Dr. Manav Gupta

Orthopedician and Traumatology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

muscle weaknessosteoporosis

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Orthopedician and Traumatology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy