Common "Otitis Media With Effusion" queries answered by top doctors | iCliniq

Otitis Media With Effusion

Otitis media with effusion occurs when there is a collection of non-infected fluid in the middle ear space. Fluid gets accumulated in the middle ear due to cold, sore throat, or an upper respiratory tract infection. It is also known as serous or secretory otitis media. It is diagnosed by doing tympanometry and treated by surgery.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Should I start antibiotic therapy for my 4-year-old child suffering from middle ear effusion with moderate otitis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am debating whether to initiate antibiotic therapy for my child who is 4 years old with middle ear effusion and mild or moderate otitis media. We have a plane ride coming up, and I am thinking of rescheduling the flight. Previously he had URTI, no fever, and mild or moderate pain ...  Read Full »

Dr. Akshay. B. K.

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Going by the history of your kid it seems that your kid suffered from acute otitis media following a URTI (upper respiratory tract infection), right now. Since the pain is decreased and there's moderate hearing loss, the condition might be turning onto otitis media wit...  Read Full »

I am experiencing partial hearing loss due to fluid buildup in the middle ear. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I have fluid build-up in the middle ear and partial hearing loss in the affected ear. I have no pain, irritation, drainage, fever, or headaches. Should I seek a solution, such as getting it drained or medicated? Should I just let it try to resolve itself? Please give suggestions. I have a...  Read Full »

Dr. Oliyath Ali

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I understand your concern. Build up of fluid in the middle ear is called otitis media with effusion (OME). It usually happens because of eustachian tube (ET) blockage. ET is the tube connecting the middle ear with the back of the nose called the nasopharynx. Through th...  Read Full »

I feel vibrations in my left ear when I exercise. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18-year-old boy weighing 147.71 lb and 5 feet and 8 inches in height. I feel a vibration in my left ear when I do push-ups, and it becomes hard for me to do because I have to apply more force. Every day when I wake up, I find my ear blocked. Whenever I sleep, turning my head to...  Read Full »

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N

Answer: Hello, Welcome to You must get an otoscopic ear examination with pure tone audiogram testing done. You could be having glue ear or serous otitis media. This needs treatment medically at the most. The symptoms would go away with proper treatment. It is advisable to get a professional con...  Read Full »

I have symptoms similar to otitis media with effusion. How do I confirm the diagnosis?

Query: Hello doctor, Is this otitis media with effusion? I have attached pictures. I have had symptoms for 1.5 weeks now. It seems to be slowly getting better, but I am unsure if there is any treatment for this or if it just has to be waited out. I have no pain.  Read Full »

Dr. Ranjit Peter

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Yes, the otoscopic images (the attachments have been removed to protect the patient's privacy) that you shared are those of otitis media with effusion. Yes, you are right; it will resolve over a period of 1.5 to 3 weeks, provided you do not have a stuffy nose, and you ...  Read Full »

After recovering from a sinus infection, I developed a clogged ear. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I am recovering from a sinus infection. I have had a clogged right ear ringing for the last four days. The ear ringing was on and off with loudness but seemed to be better in the morning. But yesterday, I woke up and had distorted hearing, like I am underwater in the same ear. Kindly a...  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Shrestha

Answer: Hello, Welcome to As per your history, it can be either otitis media with effusion or eustachian tube dysfunction secondary to the sinus and nasal infection. Otitis media with effusion is a collection of fluid in the middle ear, whereas eustachian tube dysfunction is blockage of the eus...  Read Full »

I suffer ear infection with fluid accumulation resulting in hearing problem. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I had an ear infection about two weeks ago and just finished the antibiotic. In the past two weeks, I have had a fluid stuck in my middle ear with no relief. There is a lot of uncomfortable pressure in my ear and my hearing is completely blocked on that side. I believe my eustachian ...  Read Full »

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I have seen the photos. (attachment removed to protect the patient identity). It appears that after the ear infection there is some fluid accumulation inside the middle ear. We call it otitis media with effusion. This is quite common after an ear infection and usually ...  Read Full »

How to get rid of autophony?

Query: Hello Doctor, For the last 3-4 years I have been getting occasional autophony. This usually occurs during physical exercises like running etc., or when in college or when I am with my friends. It is very irritating to listen to my own voice echoing in the ear and also I do hear my own heart beat a...  Read Full »

Dr. Mishra Pransunchandra Akhileshchandra

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I read your entire history and understood your problem. Autophony is the unusual hearing of one's own voice and even breathing sounds. You have two issues:- Patulous Eustachian Tube and, OME (Otitis Media with Effusion) which is on and off fluid collection in th...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.