Q. Valsalva method to release the blocked eustachian tube does not work. Why?

Published on Jan 26, 2020

I had an ear infection about two weeks ago and just finished the antibiotic. In the past two weeks, I have had a fluid stuck in my middle ear with no relief. There is a lot of uncomfortable pressure in my ear and my hearing is completely blocked on that side. I believe my eustachian tube is blocked. I have tried a number of decongestants and also the Valsalva method, but nothing has worked. I have a few very clear photos of my eardrum. I could show you if that helps. Also, in the past few days, bubbles are present in the fluid behind the eardrum. Please help.

Allergy Specialist Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

I have seen the photos. (attachment removed to protect the patient identity).

It appears that after the ear infection there is some fluid accumulation inside the middle ear. We call it otitis media with effusion. This is quite common after an ear infection and usually occurs due to some remnant inflammation inside the eustachian tube that prevents the flow of mucus from the middle ear into the throat through that tube.

This can be confirmed clinically by otoscopic or endoscopic examination. Additionally, the hearing loss can be quantified by pure tone audiogram (PTA) and the fluid confirmed by the B curve in impedance audiometry. Do you have any pictures of the drum or the tests? If so please share it with me.

Usually, the effusion takes a couple of weeks to resolve and needs a different type of medicine than the one given for infection. You need decongestants oral and local, nasal sprays, antiallergics, and a mild anti-inflammatory agent.

Do revert back to me with more details and we shall discuss what has to be done. Do not do Valsalva if there is any nasal block or congestion still as that would push the mucus further into the tubes and increase the block.

| 

What is the treatment for tinnitus?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31 year old female. I am having tinnitus in my right ear. My PTA hearing test says R - 17 dB and L - 10 dB. My doctor informed me that there is slight nerve damage and it is causing tinnitus and slight hearing loss. He said that there is no cure for it. Please help.  Read Full »

Why is there no improvement in unilateral hearing loss even after medication?

Query: Hello doctor, For about three weeks now my right ear is not hearing properly, feels blocked some times and pains some times. My hearing has come down probably to only 30% that I can understand only when some one speaks on this ear. My other ear is fine. I consulted a GP who could not locate any inf...  Read Full »

Kindly interpret MRI taken for dizziness and headaches in a smoker.

Query: Hi doctor, I am 33 years old female smoker 170 cm, 72 kg and recently have my MRI scan on the brain. My reason for MRI was dizziness, headaches, and pain in joints, legs. Can you please tell me your opinion about the result? This the impression: T2 FLAIR hyperintensity foci within the white matter ...  Read Full »