Q. I have recurring otitis media. How can this be fully resolved?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

I am a 46 year old male. I have been having recurring otitis media every year since three years. I was treated with various courses of antibiotics. Amoxicillin is already resistant. So Cefpodoxime and recently Cefuroxime is being used for treatment. I would like to know if there is any permanent solution to cure otitis media as I have also heard it could cause meningitis. I am having another bout right now with my left ear drum is inflamed and this time Cefpodoxime cannot clear it. So, the specialist has put me on Cefuroxime. I am still on this course of antibiotics. I have back aches, cough with phlegm with low-grade fever and feel generally lethargic. I also have high-pitched tinnitus which is very loud. Can you please tell me if I can take a treatment where this issued can be fully resolved?

#

Taking antibiotics is not the solution to the problem. If you have a recurrent infection and eardrum perforation, you need to undergo a minor ear surgery which is performed by almost all ENT surgeons.

1. What investigations have you got done till now?
  2. Also, do you have recurrent throat pain or sinusitis? Recurrent ear infections can be secondary to nose and throat problem also.

For more information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

Thank you for your reply. I have not done any investigation as such. The specialist has looked into my ear and found inflamed eardrum. There is no perforation. Yes, I do have recurring throat pain and sinusitis. And my ear infection always starts during this season. I would like to know going forward what would be the best option for treatment?

#

Your ear problem seems to be secondary to throat and sinus infection.

The first thing you should do is to get a CT scan of the nose and paranasal sinuses (to see the inflammation in the nose and sinuses) done and also if possible get tympanometry and hearing test done.

If you have acute sinus issues or nose infection right now then do not get the CT scan now. You will need an antibiotic and decongestant prior to the CT scan.

Start on a steroid nasal spray like Momeflo (Mometasone) or Avamys (Fluticasone) spray to reduce nasal inflammation. Consult a specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.

|