Q. Can ovarian cysts present without symptoms?

Dr. Reetika Joshi

I have had an ultrasound of my ovaries, and on my left ovary they found a cyst measuring 3.7 cm X 2.76 cm containing calcification. They are referring me to a gynecologist. I am concerned about this. I had no symptoms. They told me that they are not overly worried but I am.

#

I fully understand your concern and will surely help you out.

I have gone through the details presented by you and have also seen the image shared by you (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). The size is not something to worry about and could have disappeared on its own as well, but yes calcification is something I am wanting to understand the reason for.

Please tell me if you are having periods regularly or is there any irregular period history etc.

How many pregnancies did you had, and how many children do you have?

Did you experience any signs of menopause?

Although, I agree that the size as observed is not something to worry about and it is fine that you have been referred, but please share the details requested for better assessment of your condition.

Do not worry. I am always there for you.

I am going through perimenopause, so periods are irregular, and become heavy at times.

Currently, I am slightly anemic and I have just started medication for this.

#

Thanks for the details.

Since you are at perimenopause condition so the cysts sometime occur as the egg ripens but is not released. Further, since the size is not big so it shall go away on its own. There is nothing to worry about at this stage. If it had been postmenopausal cyst then it would have required medicines for sure.

You must visit the gynecologist in your area and also tell her if you are having any pain etc., in ovaries, so that she can prescribe necessary medications.

|