Pain During Sex

Pain during sex refers to a sensation of discomfort or actual pain in the genital area during the act of intercourse. It could be due to deep penetration, infection, fibroids, tears, etc.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Will lubricants help in case of painful sex?

Query: Hi Doctor, It has been three years of my marriage and my marriage is still unconsummated as sex is extremely painful for me. I am able to reach orgasm, but not penetration. I have not tried lubricants. Shall I give it a try?  Read Full »

Dr. Sweta Singh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I am sorry to learn of your troubles in the sexual area. As you have not tried any lubricant I would suggest you do the following things: Take time with foreplay and stay relaxed and loose. You should be quite wet from below. Try inserting one finger i...  Read Full »

How to ease vaginal tightening and pain during sex?

Query: Hello doctor, I have vaginal tightening during sex. It is very painful. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Vidya Muralidhar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Pain and tightening of the vagina during sex are common during the first few times of coitus (sexual intercourse). Make sure that you have sufficient foreplay to stimulate the vaginal secretions which will act as a natural lubricant. This helps in reducing the vaginal...  Read Full »

Why do I have pain in the head and base of my penis, four months after an injury during intercourse?

Query: Hello doctor, I had an injury during intercourse four months ago. The injury occurred while it was 80% erect inside my partner. There was no significant bleeding. But I felt pain at the base and head of my penis. I did an ultrasound and fMRI, and it spotted an old trauma. There is pain under the ...  Read Full »

Dr. Yousef Abbas

Answer: Hello, Welcome to I read everything carefully and had a close look at the file you sent together with your message (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity). I can see healthy erectile tissue. And the area that you are pointing to seems to be an anatomic variat...  Read Full »

Kindly help me know the reason for my pain and difficulty during penetration.

Query: Hi doctor, During intercourse, we faced difficulty in penetration though I lost my virginity. After so many tries, we finally had full penetration, but it was severely painful. After my last sexual intercourse, I started having slight bleeding that did not stop for a whole month. I would like to k...  Read Full »

Dr. Sameer Kumar

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Thanks for the query. There can be multiple causes for painful intercourse. 1) Intercourse for the first time will be painful because of the hymen tear, and some bleeding may occur due to hymen rupture. 2) The bleeding may be repeated for the next two to thre...  Read Full »

I have pain during sex, vaginal itching, cheesy-white discharge, and abdominal pain. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor,I am experiencing pain during sex with stomach pain, pain before I fart, bloating, and delayed periods. I consulted a doctor and did an ultrasound. The results show a right-side ovarian cyst measuring 5.3 x 3.3 cm. High vaginal swab result shows scanty staphylococcus infection. I took t...  Read Full »

Dr. Richa Agarwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I have gone through your history, and I can understand your concerns. Your symptoms are suggestive of vaginitis. It is mainly due to fungal infections caused by antibiotics. So, kindly keep the area dry and clean, drink a lot of warm water, maintain a soft diet, a...  Read Full »

How to resolve the pain and discomfort faced during ejaculation?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having a discomfort and mild pain during ejaculation. I was diagnosed as having chronic prostatitis with seminal vesiculitis, and I was put on Quinolones for three months and an alpha-blocker (Alfuzosin) for five months. The urinary symptoms completely resolved, but discomfort and...  Read Full »

Dr. Devendra

Answer: Hello, Welcome to As your urinary symptoms have resolved, and pain during ejaculation is localized to the inguinal region, it is very likely to be a muscular pain of the cremaster. This muscle suspends the testis, and contracts during ejaculation, more strongly in young men. Tthe pain...  Read Full »

I am unable to retract my foreskin. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having an issue with my foreskin, it does not retract and it hurts whenever I have sex. I do not have pleasure during sex, and it is also difficult to keep personal hygiene in those areas. I am a bit afraid that it can be phimosis. It is not from when I was born but happened sudd...  Read Full »

Dr. Shahil Khant

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Relax and do not worry. Please send me images if it is possible. Yes, it is phimosis. And from what you are describing, it sounds like severe phimosis. You will have to get a circumcision done. So, please consult a nearby urologist. Revert with mo...  Read Full »

How to know whether I have pelvic inflammatory disease?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 19 year old female, and I was diagnosed with a pelvic inflammatory disease, five days back. Today my primary doctor called and said my test results were all negative. Does that mean the PID was false? Have I been cleared from STD or STI? I was prescribed Doxycycline and Metronidazo...  Read Full »

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

Answer: Hi, Welcome to PID (pelvic inflammatory disease) diagnosis is typically based on presenting signs and symptoms of the patient. There may be fever, lower abdominal pain, new or different discharge, pain during intercourse, irregular bleeding, cervical motion tenderness, or uterine tender...  Read Full »

Is pain during sex in the initial stages of marriage normal?

Query: Hi doctor,Recently, I got married. Whenever we try for intercourse, I can feel a bone at the entrance of the vagina. It causes unbearable pain. I tried taking a painkiller Voren before an hour of intercourse. But there is no good result. I need expert advice. How to avoid having pain?   Read Full »

Dr. Ahmed Amdihun Essa

Answer: Hi,Welcome to is the most common problem faced for a short period after marriage. First of all, you have to understand each other. Males and females have different feelings in their sexual cycles. Males often standby for the first time sex but females take more than 15 minutes of ha...  Read Full »

What causes pain during intercourse, spotting after, and burning on urination?

Query: Hi doctor, I have pain during intercourse. I have spotting after having burning urine. I have chronic pain and it is getting worse. I am taking birth control pills. I consulted a doctor and they told me that I do not have any STI or STD.   Read Full »

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Answer: Hi, Welcome to If the infections are ruled out, then chronic pain can occur due to a condition called endometriosis. You can have severe pain during periods. In worse cases, you have pain while passing motion or while having sexual intercourse. Do an ultrasound to rule out endomet...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.