Q. I have pain in pelvic area during intercourse with a history of UTI. Please help.

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 06, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 20, 2020

I only have one sexual partner for almost a year. However, during intercourse, I feel that I am having a pain in my pelvic area and it is a sudden sharp pain. Sometimes it is random or happens during deeper penetration. It feels like pressure and almost seems like it is gas but I am not sure what it is that I am experiencing. A while back, I had a UTI and since then I have been experiencing this at times. Sometimes it does not bother me. I just want to make sure I am fine or see if this is a concern that I need to come in. Yesterday, I experienced the pressure pain on my left side more and it drew enough for concern. I do not know if it is gas or something else.

#

It is important in your case to rule out the possibility of pelvic inflammatory disease. Now points in favor are history of chlamydia and UTI in the past, pain on deep penetration and tenderness on the left side of abdomen. These are the sufficient point to evaluate for the possibility of PID (pelvic inflammatory disease). I guess you do not have any discharge per vaginum may be scanty.

One more thing is, just try to see if you are having this pain from the beginning from the intercourse or started after some time. Because if it is from the beginning then this may be dyspareunia and not related to PID. But if it has developed later then it becomes important that you undergo evaluation for PID. You will need an ultrasound of pelvis, CRP (C-reactive protein) or ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), vaginal fluid smear. However, the vaginal examination will also be helpful to see whether there is any cervical motion tenderness, which would give a fair idea about the possibility. It is important to rule out PID because it can have consequences later like fertility issues.

So if we get any clues regarding it then you will need a course of antibiotic treatment.

|