I have sharp pain in my lower left abdomen during intercourse lately. What could be the reason?

Q. What could be the possible causes of pain in the lower left abdomen during intercourse?

Dr. Uzma Arqam
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 05, 2023 and last reviewed on: Jul 05, 2023

I am having sharp pain in my lower left abdomen during intercourse, in a position when I am on my hand and knees. This pain is a recent development and has not been a problem before. Also, I am not pregnant. And I am certain that I do not have an STI because my husband and I have never had sexual relations with anyone apart from ourselves. What could be the reason for this pain?

Please help.

#

I have read your query and can understand your concern.

Based on the information that you have provided, there are a few possible reasons for that and I suggest you to follow the instructions mentioned below,

1. Firstly, make sure that you have not missed your period, and undergo a serum beta hCG test (human chorionic gonadotropin) just to confirm that you are not pregnant. If the test comes positive, then I suggest you undergo an immediate transvaginal ultrasonography to rule out ectopic pregnancy, or repeat the serum beta hCG test after 48 hours. If the test shows less than a 60 % increase in hCG levels which normally should double around every 48 hours, it is a sign of an ectopic pregnancy.
  2. Besides ectopic pregnancy, this type of pain can be due to endometrioma, local inflammatory lesions, or inflammatory cysts. I suggest you undergo a transvaginal ultrasound scan to rule out such an inflammatory cyst, endometrioma, or any other mass. However, a transvaginal ultrasound scan may not detect endometrioma. The gold standard for diagnosis of endometrioma is a laparoscopy. If these investigations detect an endometrioma, then I suggest you take cyclic oral contraceptive pills for three to six months as it will reduce endometriosis pain and also provide contraception. I suggest you consult a specialist, talk with them, and take the medications with their consent.
  3. For pain relief associated with intercourse, I suggest you take a tablet of Ponstan (Mefenamic Acid) 500 mg around half an hour before intercourse.

I hope this has helped you. Kindly follow up if you have more doubts.

|