Q. What is the treatment for a small fissure on the penis that causes painful sex?

Dr. Shahil Khant
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 04, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 19, 2019

Under the left side tip of the penis, where the head curves to the shaft, I have a small fissure that opens up when I have intercourse. This recurring cut heals completely but, recurs every month for the past year. I am uncircumcised and have no STD, infection or inflammation, just this recurring fissure that happens during intercourse. How to ensure this is permanently healed so that intercourse is not painful?

#

• It may have occurred due to sexual trauma.
  • If possible, send me images so that I can suggest accordingly.

Revert with more information to a urologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

Thank you for your response. Attached are two images that show the fissure. Kindly suggest a cure.

#

I have seen the images sent by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and I can see the fissure.

• It is nothing to worry. It is a relatively common problem. It happens because of trauma (unnoticed) during sexual intercourse. It heals partially and having sex will cause it to recur.
  • I suggest you apply a topical antibacterial ointment like Bacitracin or Neosporin.
  • Let it heal completely. Abstain from sexual activities for six weeks, so that it heals well. Then, it will not recur.

It is nothing major, and there is no need for any tests.

For more information consult a urologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

|