Q. What is the treatment for a small fissure on the penis that causes painful sex?

Dr. Shahil Khant
Published on Sep 04, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 19, 2019

Under the left side tip of the penis, where the head curves to the shaft, I have a small fissure that opens up when I have intercourse. This recurring cut heals completely but, recurs every month for the past year. I am uncircumcised and have no STD, infection or inflammation, just this recurring fissure that happens during intercourse. How to ensure this is permanently healed so that intercourse is not painful?

Dr. Shahil Khant

Andrology General Surgery Urology
#

• It may have occurred due to sexual trauma.
  • If possible, send me images so that I can suggest accordingly.

Revert with more information to a urologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

Thank you for your response. Attached are two images that show the fissure. Kindly suggest a cure.

Dr. Shahil Khant

Andrology General Surgery Urology
#

I have seen the images sent by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and I can see the fissure.

• It is nothing to worry. It is a relatively common problem. It happens because of trauma (unnoticed) during sexual intercourse. It heals partially and having sex will cause it to recur.
  • I suggest you apply a topical antibacterial ointment like Bacitracin or Neosporin.
  • Let it heal completely. Abstain from sexual activities for six weeks, so that it heals well. Then, it will not recur.

It is nothing major, and there is no need for any tests.

For more information consult a urologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

Should I go for treponemal test three years after sexual contact?

Query: Hi doctor, I have an STD question and hope to have an STD specialist doctor to assist me. I had a sexual contact three years ago and only last month I went for (VDRL nontreponemal test) and is negative. I have read online that after several years or after sometime usually, the result can be negativ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Kakkar
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, sometimes many years after an infection with Treponema pallidum, VDRL may turn negative. TPHA (Treponema pallidum hemagglutination) or FTA ABS (fluorescent treponemal antibody absorption test) would be confirmatory in that case. You may take this test. Syphilis...  Read Full

I like to masturbate, but not sex. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 31 years old. I have been married for 3.5 years now. I hardly feel to have sex with my wife. Sometimes, the gap will be more than a month. I masturbate almost on a daily basis and sometimes, twice or thrice in a day after watching porn. I am somehow addicted to it and not able to st...  Read Full >>

Dr. Pankaj Mittal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems that you have a normal sexual drive as you masturbate on a daily basis, which is also a form of sexual activity. Masturbation is not an addiction. It is a normal phenomenon. It does not affect our physical, mental and sexual health. It is totally natural and nor...  Read Full

I took I-pill after unprotected sex on the 7th day of my periods. Any chance of getting pregnant?

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex on the seventh day of my periods, and I have five days bleeding. I took an I-pill on the 58th hour. I had bleeding on the seventh day after taking the pill. But, I am 10 days late for my periods, from the last month's date. I am worried. Please help. Is there a...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sujata Mittal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Sexual contact on the seventh day of periods will not make you pregnant, as they are the safe period. You should not have taken I-pill. I-pills are meant for emergency contraception and not for routine use. These are hormonal medicines and can disturb and disrupt...  Read Full