Q. I am having excruciating pain in the right breast. Could it be a cancer?

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 09, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 22, 2021

I had a mammogram done a few weeks ago. I am having excruciating pain in my right breast. It hurts when I move, or lie down to reach up any movement or touch of that breast and It makes me sick to my stomach. I have had a kind of loss of appetite. I got a callback and the person who did my mammogram saw some images, so they have scheduled me to have an ultrasound done. I am scared, but also in tremendous pain. What could this be?

#

• Most probably, it will be fibroadenosis. Fibroadenosis is a condition seen during perimenopausal periods and characterized by lumps and severe pain in the breast.
  • Probably he must have seen those lumps, which is an expected finding.
  • Cancer, most of the time, is painless. So I think, there is no need to worry at this moment about breast cancer.
  • In treatment, tight and supportive bra, avoiding stimulant like caffeine, tea, coffee, etc. Also, over-the-counter like Ibuprofen or Diclofenac or Paracetamol. Also, Primrose oil 1 g three times a day will also be helpful.
  • If none of the above help, then you will need oral contraceptive pills and fluid aspiration from the lumps.

For further doubts consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|