Q. My 5-year-old girl complains of pain under left nipple. Please help.

Dr. Madhuvanthi Rajendran

My 5 years old daughter is complaining of slight pain in the left breast under the nipple. When touched, it feels like something hard muscular around the nipple area. I am a bit concern about whether it is a breast bud or something to worry about. At this stage, it is normal because she is just going to be 5 years old. Healthwise, she is good and, as such, no issues until now.

#

I understand your concerns. Chest pain in the majority of girls is nothing to worry about. I would like to ensure if she has developed any other signs of puberty like pubic hair and underarm hair. Also, I would like to know her height and weight. I will guide you further once I know her height and weight and both parents' height (in cm). Kindly revert with the above-mentioned details.

My daughter is 20 kg in weight and 109 cm in height. We saw a Pediatrician, and he suggested for Paediatric Endroconologist consultation and asked for a bone age test.

#

Good that you consulted an endocrinologist. Her height and weight are normal for her age. Her bone age will tell if it is delayed or advanced. If everything is normal, we need to keep track of the height velocity and focus on cutting junk food and daily exercise. Her BMI (body mass index) is in the overweight range. Monitor her height every six months and plan on her diet and activities. Everything will be alright.

|