Q. If I sit for longer than 20 minutes, I get pain in my butt. Why?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 18, 2021

I have pain in my butt while sitting. I cannot sit for more than twenty minutes. I feel to have a burning and pricking sensation. Sometimes I feel the pain between anus and perineum. I do not have pain or blood while passing stool. I have pain only on the right side or right buttock. I seem to have a slight swelling on the buttock. I have this problem for two weeks. I clearly remember that sitting for long hours causes this problem. It happened once before two months and got resolved after avoiding sitting for long hours.

#

It can be due to musculoskeletal pain. The pain arises from the muscles and bones. It does not have any association with the gut. I suggest you take some muscle relaxants to get relief from pain. You can take tablet Paracetamol three times a day for three to five days till the pain resolves. If the pain remains, then you need to do some tests to rule the cause of the pain. It can also occur due to abscess. Fever is the predominant symptom of an abscess. Please mention whether you have a fever and any visible swelling in the butt area.

You have musculoskeletal pain or gluteal or perineal abscess.

|